Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:31 AM   #31

My Oly E-20 has an auto-bracketing mode that, in a way, is like your best-shot mode, though in my case, it's all about exposure instead of sharpening. I never use it. To be truthful, I don't want my camera making any decisions for me at all, even if it gives me a choice of its decisions. My taste, my way of seeing, my picture.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:34 AM   #32
Administrator

The Nikons BSS mode has nothing to do with your camera's settings (sharpening, exposure, focus, white balance, aperture, shutter speed, etc.).

It does not vary any settings.

It simply snaps multiple photos quickly with the same settings for as long as you hold down the shutter button (up to around 10 photos). Then, it automatically saves the photo with the most detail (indicating the best focus) -- probably by keeping the one with the largest file size. The rest are discarded.

It's a handy feature for getting sharp photos without a tripod at slower shutter speeds (usually, you'll have at least one photo that is sharp with a hand held camera, since the photos are being taken in rapid succession). It's a terrific feature if you take a lot of photos at slower shutter speeds, without the need to carry a tripod around with you.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:48 AM   #33

The part that bothers me is that it chooses which one to save, not leaving you the option. Wouldn't it be better to have a simple burst mode?
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:57 AM   #34
Administrator

Well, you're taking photos of the same subject, using the same settings. So, the camera can easily determine which one is sharpest.

All it needs to do is keep the one with the largest file size (larger file size = more detail capture = sharper focus).

This saves memory card space (you can hold the shutter button down for up to 10 photos in rapid succession). When you release the shutter button, it automatically keeps the photo that is sharper.

I've even used this feature often with a Nikon Coolpix 950's lens held directly to a microscope eyepiece (no adapter, handheld camera), taking 600x photos (through the microscope magnification) at 1/2 second shutter speeds.

This feature (BSS) allows me to get incredibly sharp photos (because it is able to keep one that was most sharply in focus, out of the photos captured while holding down the shutter button).

Heck, I even use BSS on landscapes (even in good light). That way, I always get the absolute sharpest photo, without the need of a tripod (since it can easily determine the photo with the most detail by the file size internally).

Sure, you could just take multiple photos and review them later. But, then, you're using up a lot of memory card space. With BSS, the camera does it for you.

If I could only add one feature to my newest camera (Konica Revio KD-510z), it would be BSS. It's especially nice for Macros at slower shutter speeds, allowing you to get sharp photos without a tripod (since usually, at least one of the handheld photos taken in rapid succession will be in focus).

As far as I know, only Nikons have this feature.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 11:28 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
To be truthful, I don't want my camera making any decisions for me at all, even if it gives me a choice of its decisions. My taste, my way of seeing, my picture.

HERE! HERE! Manual Mode all the way! (sorry...I got carried away for a moment...we now take you back to our regularly scheduled debate)
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 1:04 PM   #36

JimC, you realize, I'm sure, that I'm criticizing neither you nor the Nikon's features. I'm looking at these features based on my own wants and ways of working. For instance, I shoot in nothing but RAW mode, meaning I don't want the camera doing anything with even half a percent of one pixel.

Quote:
Manual Mode all the way!
Control freaks unite!
Old Jan 30, 2004, 1:24 PM   #37
Administrator

I know Barbara. I was just giving you a better idea of how BSS works.

I like it because it makes getting photos at slower shutter speeds easy, without the need to worry about messing around with the thinga-ma-bob, watchamacallit, doohickey and hoojigger for attaching and detaching the camera to a tripod.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:30 AM   #38

Bcoultry,
That idea for using string and a screw sounds like a winner! Looks like I am going to my local hardware store on monday!
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 12:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Control freaks unite!
OK, but I'm in charge :lol: :lol: :lol:
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 12:47 PM   #40

Gandalf065, I forgot one little thing in that description. Make sure you also get a nut that fits the bolt. Screw the nut down onto the bolt to a point where it can act as a stopper that prevents you from over-tightening the bolt in the camera. The bolt I use is about 3/4's of an inch long. Wish I could remember the size, but I'm sure it'll be easy enough for you to figure out.

Aside to Ohenry: We'll toss for it. I'll supply the coin.