Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:38 AM   #1

Default Just unboxed. What's your familiarization routine?

(First, Hi all! First post in 6 years...)

Okay,

So you just unboxed that new camera. It could be the latest SLR, or a lowly 100$ point-and-shoot'er for your niece, but anyway it's just came out of the box, out of the bag and there it is lying on the table in front of you.

It's due to begin service in a week, that leaves you some time to get the hang of its capabilities and menu system. Where do you go from there?

What do you shoot? When, how? Why?
Do you use any 'target' to test things? Grey 18% card?

Maybe someone even wrote a book on the process? A guide? A blog? A tweet? (not serious about the tweet )
PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:05 AM   #2

1. Charge the battery, read the manual, and handle the camera.
2. Insert the charged battery, insert and format a memory card, handle the controls, and take some pictures of what I see around me.
3. Identify what I'd like to have done differently with those photos, and consult the manual and other sources to see how I could have.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 forever (or until the next camera comes around.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:06 AM   #3

Not much of a book, is it?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:51 AM   #4

make sure you set the date and time, set the various modes that need to be set and or changed (i.e. such as anti-shake in P&S cameras turned on or off to your liking........)

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:52 AM   #5

with todays modern cameras they record all the settings so you can see where you succeeded or what you did wrong. so go take pictures and lots of them
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:15 PM   #6

Find how to restore the factory default settings - then start trying everything. Since you know how to get back to "start", there is no reason to be afraid of getting something wrong.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:36 PM   #7

Heh, thanks.. Truth, though : no magic.

LOVE that last suggestion, Bill. That's the spirit! And I indeed did not think of it, so thanks.

Playing with it at home I've found out my old 2000, 2100 mah AA cells are either really tired, or they aren't up to the job of feeding a current day camera. Better I know now, at home, than some place else.

I must say I'm overwhelmed by the number of options.. not so much the shooting modes, Av, Tv... no but the camera settings themselves likes the type of AutoFocus (Oooh, is it slow. Good, though, but slow.), of image stabilization, contrast enhancement, etc. I know in the end it's gonna be user preference, but for some things I just don't know how I'll know..

Oh.. the camera's an SX150 IS from Canon. I had received for my birthday a (higher res) Sony one, mostly to do books scans but I thought I might as well have some fun and got it exchanged for the Canon one (been wanting to try HDR since my first forays around here circa 2005... trying it with Av and Focus locked and based on shutter speed, not some EV compensation, is an interesting prospect. )

Edit: Oh... Played a bit more, and READ some too, and I now realize that EV really is just automagically adjusting speed and aperture (and maybe iso?) and not amplifying signal which is what ISO does... *That* is a major comprehension moment for me. -- So, if I get that right, adjusting EV is a shortcut that is setting a target ratio, a bit like manipulating DPI rather than pixel-size and expected printing size in pre-print?

Last edited by PaulPosition; Apr 8, 2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: not to double-post
PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:31 AM   #8

Charge up the batteries.
Take pictures of my cats with different settings.
Read the manual to find out why the pics didn't come out as expected.
Repeat.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew View Post
Find how to restore the factory default settings - then start trying everything. Since you know how to get back to "start", there is no reason to be afraid of getting something wrong.
I'd go so far as to say that you should do a factory reset right after you insert the battery for the first time, and finish the initialization routine.