Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:19 AM   #1

Default Canon A80, Olympus C750, or Olympus C5050

I'm looking to buy my first digital camera and have narrowed it to the 3 cameras listed. I think I am leaning toward one of the Olympus models. I really like all the features of the 5050, but I also think I'd like to have the 10X zoom of the 750. How do I decide how important the zoom is? Also, I have some concerns about the 750, such as no AF light assist, LCD can't be closed against the camera like the other 2, and the xD card being more expensive. If 3X is adequate, then should I go with the Canon because it is less expensive? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
swimmersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2004, 2:47 PM   #2

No way to tell how important the zoom is. Everyone has different requirements. If you tend to photograph wildlife or things at a distance it is great. If most of your shots are at wider angles it isnít that great. You need very good light or a tripod to take advantage of the 10X zoom though.

XD is a pain in the rear. They are used only in Oly and Fuji cameras. But the 5050 also takes CF cards which are versatile and inexpensive. The 5050 is a good low light camera and would be more versatile if you donít think you will take a lot of long telephoto shots.

I like the flip-out LCDs but have never owned a camera that had one. Great for shots from odd angles like near the ground or over your head. Waist level use is also handy in a lot of situations. They are especially good for getting candid shots Ė nobody seems to notice you if you arenít standing behind the camera in the regular shooting stance. Iíve used them on other peopleís cameras but the feature wasnít ever important enough for me to overlook other features I wanted.

The A80 is a nice camera you canít really go wrong with for general use.

My personal preference of those would be the 750, but I would tend to use the long zoom a lot. Not everyone makes much use of that long a lens for most normal shooting.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 3:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I will mostly be shooting family, kids at school events and swim meets, "vacation" shots (beach, scenery) and people running marathons. Would the A80 or 5050 be adequate for that, or am I going to be wanting that extra zoom do you think?
Old Jan 29, 2004, 4:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmersmom
Thanks for the advice. I will mostly be shooting family, kids at school events and swim meets, "vacation" shots (beach, scenery) and people running marathons. Would the A80 or 5050 be adequate for that, or am I going to be wanting that extra zoom do you think?
Hard to tell. Most family shots donít require a long zoom. But you might want it for swim meets and marathon shots Ė depends on how close you can get to the action. And the faster lens on the Oly would let you use a faster shutter or lower ISO for the same shot. I tend to use a long zoom because I take a lot of nature shots, but most people get along fine without anything longer than 3X.

The A80 is more compact and lighter by a little. You might tend to carry it all the time in your purse. You get a lot more shots with the camera you have with you than with the one sitting at home.

Pentax has a $50 rebate going for a couple more days on their 555. Nice pocket sized with a 5X zoom and 5Mp.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:32 PM   #5

And the faster lens on the Oly would let you use a faster shutter or lower ISO for the same shot.

Do you mean the 750 or the 5050? Also, I forgot to mention, I do not want a camera with a proprietary battery. My husband has an older Sony and it stopped holding a charge right before Christmas, so couldn't use it. Was a real pain trying to find the right one. Plus I'm tired of multiple chargers around the house. So I want to stick with rechargeable AA's. That's one reason I've picked those cameras. That means the Pentax is out.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 9:34 PM   #6

one thing i must chime in:
the c5050 has one really really annoying feature. there is a quite noticeable lag between when you press the shutter (even after prefocus) and it takes the picture. other than that it is a beautiful camera! my mom has one and i have played with it quite a bit. not trying to be a naysayer, i really love the image quality and versatility of the camera, it just has one really annoying feature.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:01 PM   #7

Sorry Ė forgot we were discussing two Olys. As I said in my first post the 5050 has a faster lens. That is the one that will give better action shots in less than perfect light.

Normal shutter lag on the 5050 is about average. Shutter lag in manual focus isnít too good. It does a decent job if you half press the shutter to pre-focus. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C5050/C55A7.HTM

My experience with proprietary batteries is that they last quite a while. Iíve read posts by people who still had them working fine after a quite a few years. They make for a lighter and more compact camera. There was a time when digital cameras really ate batteries, but the newer cameras are a lot more efficient. The trend is away from AAs except for cheaper cameras where they can just throw in a couple of alkalines and no charger to keep the price down. Even in bigger cameras they seem to be moving to proprietary batteries for weight and bulk. Minolta went to a proprietary battery in their A1 and Oly in the 5060. Not much I can argue with not having yet another charger though. I personally wouldnít limit my choice based just on that criteria though.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 1:24 AM   #8

Hi

I have researched and tried all the above. I ended up getting the Canon A80. What a fantastic Camera!! Small, Solid and full of features. I am glad i bought it. The C750 felt cheap compared to it and i did notice some problems with the LCD. Also, the quality was way behind the Canon.
chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 11:54 PM   #9

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the longer zoom. So now I am looking at both the Oly 750 and the Panasonic FZ10. Does anybody have experience with these 2? Any opinions would be appreciated.