Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:03 PM   #1

Default First must-have "accessories" for micro 4/3?

First, sorry if I should be posting this in a different forum. I could not really find anything that matched exactly.

In the past few weeks or so I've gone on a bit of a spending spree, picking up a refurbished E-PL2 and Lightroom 3. My new Panasonic 45-200 lens should be here shortly assuming I can finally get FedEx to recognize a signature release. I'll have my hands full. Still, I feel there are probably some things I need to pick up to protect/augment what I have here. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give. I think I'm looking for bare-bones essentials ATM.

I'm hoping this will help other people too.

1). Extra Battery. I'm definitely getting one but am not sure which of the "generics" people think work the best. I had a generic for my FZ-35 which worked fine, but I've heard other people have had different outcomes.

2). Filter? I kept a UV filter on my old camera pretty much at all times. I had a polarizing filter that I'd use occasionally. I didn't know if a polarizer would make these lenses (the Panny and the 14-42 "kit") too dark or not. The 37mm front of the kit lens is so tiny! Do people get a hood for the kit zoom and just go with that?

3). Strap? the neck strap on this thing annoys me, and I find myself just carrying it for the most part. That's probably a bad idea.

4). Shutter release? I'm interested in these after I found what a difference the two second shutter release made on the fz-35 on tripod (I'm assuming my tripod (Slick Sprint PRO) will hold up to this new setup). Even after researching I have no idea what brands or features I should be looking for though.

5). Cleaning? I have a lens-pen, from Nikon I think. I am not sure if there is a better solution or not.

6). Screen protector? I find myself getting my fingers on the LCD much more than on my old cam for some reason. How much of a concern is this?

7). Bag. I have a Tamrac bag that I think will fit the camera and probably the longer lens, but not much else. Is there a better bag answer (that isn't too large? This one's been fine for what it does, but it won't work when I start trying to carry another lens.

Sorry for being so long. What do people consider essential for their set-ups?
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2012, 5:10 PM   #2

Default #3

I have had a bad strap before. It felt like it was sawing through my neck. I found a better one. But....

If you really hate all neck straps, consider a wrist strap.

Bottom line is this: If the camera slips out of your hand, you want something to catch it. My bride uses a wrist strap and loves it.
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 5:20 PM   #3

Default #7 The Bag

Here's what I went through and eventually settled on a bag. I still use it and am glad I did. It works really well for me.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/mi...n-journey.html

Faithfully Yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:55 PM   #4

As soon as I get a new camera I always get a spare battery and make sure I have at least 2memory cards that works in the camera. Followed by UV filter, a third battery and when I got my D-SLR I always got a rocket blower and a black rapid camera strap.

As for the bag idea I went from a shoulder bag to backpack last summer when I had to do a longer trip via an airplane and needed to take my camera gear and a laptop, so that was the logical thing for me to do.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 8:52 PM   #5

the UV is a real wast of money. Get a lens hood for the lens, extra battery, and 2 good cards, a good cleaning kit with a jet blower and I like to protect the lcd so I get the lcd film. These are right away things I buy.

Wireless remote is nice for setting up macro or pose self photos. Or the timer works as well so it is not a much have item.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:52 PM   #6

A lens hood is very important , it prevents glares to get on your pictures:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lens-Hood-Ol...item2a1714d159

As far as filter goes, it is a never ending argument for digital photography. A lot of people prefer not to use because it add a tint on your pictures. I am one of those stubborn one from the old film days, I am a strong advocate of using UV filters for pprotection. You just have to spend a little more to get a quality filter. Here is a Hoya UV filter HMC UV(0) for your Panasonic zoom:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Multi-...026304&sr=8-19

The standard zoom, you may have a hard time finding a Hoya HMC(0) 40.5mm, I don't think they make one that small. You may have to go for the Hoya HMC(C).
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:03 PM   #7

BW has a 40.5 if you much have one, they are very good if you the multi coated.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:29 AM   #8

I have a hood for the 45-150, but not the "regular" lens. It's on the list. I'm also finding a lot of situations where I would have liked a CPL for that lens. For the FZ-35 I got my filters at 2filter.com, their website's kind of a mess (haha) but they were fast and answered all of my stupid questions, so I'll probably go there again.

But I thought the standard zoom was 37mm. I'll have to look again.

So far, the mailman has delivered a lcd protector for the back, generic battery, "Rocket Blaster" (great item, wow I wish I had one of these a long time ago). Still looking for a new bag, they all seem too big, too small, or too expensive. That's fine--I like researching.

I also picked up some yard sale items. I wanted an old leather-ish camera box, and he basically gave me a deal as long as I took away all of the junk inside it too. So for $2 I'm the proud owner of a Nikon One-Touch (to the goodwill probably), a flash, and two lenses that I've learned have a Minolta mount. I'm sure the lenses are nothing special (Quantaray 24mm 2.5 and "Magnon" 35mm 2.8), but I ordered an adapter because it sounded like fun to learn how to use those. I put some batteries into the flash, but it made a whining noise and started to smell like ozone, so I got worried and took them back out. This is all more than any of you care, I imagine, but I'm proud of my new junk.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote