Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:25 PM   #1

Default Anyone here a scrapbooker, too? ??? abt. quality of pics...

If so, will the pics I print out last as long as those with film? Should I be doing anything differently? I'm getting back into scrapbooking after having my 2nd child and doing MUCH more digital. I use a canon i960 and print on canon photo paper pro or red river 68 lb. ultrapro gloss. My friends who are techno-idiots can't believe the quality of my prints (4 MP 4 X 6)! Just thought I'd ask before I start scrapping away....thanks!

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:42 PM   #2

I don't have an answer to this other than that photos not subjected to light and air should last a fair amount of time. I don't know if acid has an effect on digital prints, but I suppose it would be safer to use acid-free paper anyway.

If you tend to use newspaper clippings, you might consider laminating. Because I've had to preserve a lot of that sort of thing, I bought a Brother laminator about which I've a thing or two to say if laminating interests you.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:55 PM   #3
Administrator

I understand that the Canons may be more "finnicky" on paper types.

However, Kodak just made an announcement recently on a new paper technology called Kodak Ultima Picture Paper.

It's supposed to be designed so that prints last over 100 years from most modern inkjets, regardless of how the photos are stored.

You can see the press release about it in the "breaking news" page (see yesterday's press releases from January 29).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html

I have used Kodak papers with some success in the past (but I'm using an HP printer). So, I may give these a try.

Unfortunately, I have seen prints fade pretty fast in some conditions.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 5:04 PM   #4

Make sure you have good backup for your original images as well as those youíve edited. It is easy to reprint if your images fade. They donít fade too badly in a scrapbook not exposed to light except when viewed as long as you are using good paper. But you want those original images and you donít want to lose them in a hard drive crash. A CD or DVD recorder is good for the backups Ė just donít use RW. A removable hard drive is also good if you remove it once you have made the backups.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 5:17 PM   #5

Quote:
new paper technology called Kodak Ultima Picture Paper.
I had to check out the link because I've had their Ultima Picture Paper for about a year. I thought that maybe the news wasn't quite so new, but it is. I guess what they've done is to reformulate the paper without renaming it.

Kodak paper worked beautifully on the HP I had, but I fight with it on my Epson.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 6:55 PM   #6

I never much liked HP paper even on my HP. It stays sticky for days in high humidity. Hope the new stuff is better.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 11:29 AM   #7
Administrator

Actually, the best paper I've ever used on my HP Printer was generic "Target" brand high gloss photo paper. The results were absolutely superb.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to locate the same paper again. I've visited many Target stores trying to find it again (without success). I wish I knew the company that OEM'd it for them. I'd definitely purchase some!

Apparently, they only had this paper for a short time, before giving up on the idea of "Store Brand" paper (or at least I've been unable to locate any again). I found this paper a couple of years ago at a Target Store, and have not seen any since.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 6:43 AM   #8

The paper you use is probably far less important than the inks in your printer. --At least with Epson printers, the inks used a couple of years ago (maybe still, in some printers) resulted in distinctive fading within about 6 weeks if you left the photo exposed to light. My newer PM-G800 is supposed to have much better longevity, although I haven't had time to test it much yet (I have some photos on the refrigerator and they're doing well after about a month).

In any case, if you leave the photos in your scrapbook with only occasional viewing, they should last a long time. I have some photographs from five years ago (old Epson printer), and they're doing fine since I keep them away from light. On the other hand, the photos I've posted on the refrigerator were almost invisible after a couple of years.

And as other have said, always make good backup files of all final prints (save on CD-ROM or DVD).
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 8:39 AM   #9

Norm, I've had next to no fading or color change on photos that are framed and under glass even though they're directly opposite a very bright window. These are prints from my Epson 1270. My impression is--though I could be dead wrong--that Epson is now using these long-lasting inks in all their printers. (Someone jump in here if I'm being overly confident.)
Old Feb 1, 2004, 9:14 AM   #10

Quote:
My impression is--though I could be dead wrong--that Epson is now using these long-lasting inks in all their printers
I'm excited to hear that if it's true--all I know is that my old printer was worthless for any prints to be left out.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote