Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 3, 2012, 7:57 AM   #1

Default wedding/church settings

I'll be assisting my first wedding and not sure where to begin. I usually shoot manual w/ spot metering (child porturiture). The photog suggested I shoot in Aperture mode. Not sure if I should change my metering for shooting inside the church w/o flash. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Wink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2012, 8:38 AM   #2

If you can, get into the church ahead of time to try things out. The rehearsal might be a good time though you shouldn't promise much in the way of results.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 8:47 AM   #3

Do you suggest spot metering or matrix?
Old May 3, 2012, 11:37 AM   #4

Will you be allowed to use flash? Clergy often won't let you, and the lighting in a church is not very conducive to good pictures, usually. Large stained glass windows can make for odd color casts. White wedding dress and black tux create a bit of difficulty with dynamic range, and metering.
I would suggest spot metering on the groom's forehead (or whichever one isn't wearing a veil) for the important shots. Matrix metering should work for the wider angles of the guests, etc. If your camera is capable of HDR, it would probably be a good idea to use.
Track shoes and a fast car for a quick getaway are also indicated.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 11:59 AM   #5

hi just done a wedding for a relative and i shot AV with evaluative metering and it worked fine., even inside the church. but I would look at the venue first i did so i knew it would work. good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 6:18 PM   #6

~Brian, I so need that ice-breaker! Track shoes and a fast car....

~Wave01, thanks for the tips and the well wishes.

This is an impromptu gig as second shooter and I'm freaking a bit. Is it normal to feel sick to your stomach b4 a job?!? I shoot tomorrow and It's ceremony only w/ park pics, no reception. Whew...I can get my feet wet and hopeful not choke! Thanks for the support, all!! I'll keep ya posted.

Jen
Old May 3, 2012, 7:21 PM   #7

Nerves are normal. Feeling sick to your stomach may be a sign of too much stress. Remember, half (about) of all marriages end in divorce anyway, and wedding albums get put away and are rarely looked at. As second shooter, you aren't under a lot of pressure, so take it easy. Don't get too distracted, pay attention to your camera settings, and have fun. (and remember to wear something you can run in)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 7:50 PM   #8

Large/fast memory card; overshoot; look for detail shots when possible and try and capturer those as the main shooter may be focused on the bridge and groom, also try not to follow the main shooter around like glue look for good shots and shoot them and move on quickly..... If you still sick to your stomach try some really cold ginger-ale and see if that helps.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 2:43 AM   #9

Hi i was nervous but once i started i was to busy then to think about it. dont worry about the pictures you already takes so you know they will be ok just relax and enjoy the day. I worked all day and in the end i can look back and say i had a great day myself. post some when its over
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 8:46 AM   #10

Well, I can say I'm proud I stepped out of my comfort zone. However, it was much harder than I expected. I love my manual mode and struggled w/ the finding the proper exposure at the speed things were moving. When I switched to Apeture mode the camera was picking too slow of a ss and I couldn't get it to hold the meter reading where I wanted. I'll have to learn how to work that mode.

Today is my first day off since last fri. I would love to post a few of my shots here. Let me figure out how and I'll do my best to post tonight. Thanks for all the support.

Thanks
Jen