Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 16, 2002, 12:51 AM   #1

Default Tripods-Real newbie question

Hi

Just got a tripod to photograph small ancient artifacts. Hope this is not too stupid a question (please bear with me), since I take the photo with the camera pointing straight down, the tripod legs show in the picture, is there a way to avoid this? Thanks.

Louise Parrish
Louise Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2002, 1:43 AM   #2

Default Manfrotto 055PRO

Louise,
Manfrotto have the 055PRO, which offer a double positioning centre column ( vertical / horizontal ) which allow the camera to be deported (?) of the centre , and clear the legs .
Sorry, I can't find a pic on line .

( well, manfrotto is pro material, so a bit more costy , but it really worth it, just like metz flash ...)

You can also use a clamp type ( clamp to a table edge for example) but it's more or less rigid . I have an antique Stitz CPR-1 but rarely use it .

==================

http://www.manfrotto.com/products/in...?doc_from=home

go to tripod for photo , and 055PRO

"The tripod has an easily removed centre column that just as easily re-fits as a horizontal lateral arm. Not only does this allow the camera to be offset from leg position, it provides the simplest way possible to shoot from directly overhead. "

[Edited on 8-16-2002 by KCan]
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 9:41 AM   #3
MK

Other manufacturers like Slik have models that have threads at the bottom of the column or can be put there. A little cheaper in price if you can afford the Manfrotto stuff.
MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 12:04 PM   #4

MK, UR rite. I have the 055 ( not the 055PRO), in my case I can also reverse the center column . Don't know if Louise can do it with her tripod.
( just be careful and well tight the screw, not to drop the cam rite on the floor!)

[Edited on 8-16-2002 by KCan]
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 4:28 PM   #5

can the legs of your tripod move independently to different angles?

if not depending on the item your shooting there will be issues.

i can suggest a more appropriate set of legs. the bogen/manfrotto 3001pro. it is an amazingly versitile set of legs which would solve 95% of shooting issues.

http://www.bogenphoto.com/product/

go to the site and look it up. because of the ability to pull the center post out and then slide it in at a right angle to the legs and the legs independently move to different angles it can do more moves tha a circus contortionist. the legs are about $108 USD alone. the heads are available seperately so you have many choices/options. i've said it before don't sell your self short on the tripod. it's your best friend next to your camera. especially for macro.

it seems that KCan and i are refering to the same family of tripod. the differences are he is referig to the manfrotto in canada numbers and i am refering to the bogen numbers in the us.
he is also refering to in us numbers the 3021pro. i own this tripod. i would cut down a notch and go to the 3001pro(bogen)/(manfrotto)190pro if it is to be used with a digicam. same design just smaller and more manageable. my 3021pro is used with 210mm or bigger with my nikon f5. these have features not available on slik or velbon yet. gitzo is just out there in price

i see your in nyc. go to B&H photo and look at them all. into thethe entrance and strait back. there all there to play with in the back. i think you'll find the bogen/manfrotto 30xxpro will fit the bill nicely.

bogen distributes manfrotto in the us.

[Edited on 8-16-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 5:23 PM   #6

Default Tripods

Hi

Thank you all, this is most enlightening, am going down to BH tomorrow. Thanks again.

Louise Parrish
Old Aug 16, 2002, 9:41 PM   #7

you better wait till sunday. they're closed on saturday.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:50 PM   #8

Default Tripod

sjms

Thanks, glad I tuned in again, otherwise would have been really upset, specially in this heat.

Louise Parrish
Old Aug 17, 2002, 1:32 PM   #9

keep cool.