Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 21, 2012, 9:09 PM   #1

Default how to post pics

I'm trying to attach a photo to a thread and having trouble. I'm thinking my file size is to big. 240 res at 100% quality? I read the how to link I found somewhere on this fourm, but don't recall sizing?

Thanks
Jen
Wink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2012, 9:26 PM   #2

ummm...I was able to resize in my lightroom to 253k?? It seem to do the trick for one image. However, my 4 other sample pics won't resize to this?? HELP!! I finally get the courage to share and I'm stuck!!
Old May 21, 2012, 9:55 PM   #3
Administrator

There are two parameters you have to worry about. One is the dimensions in pixels, and the other is the file size.

The longest side should be no longer than 1024 pixels (and you can resize by the longest side in pixels with most editors). You don't care about things like ppi or size in inches at a given dpi. That doesn't really mean anything. The size in pixels is what matters for something like posting to forums (as software that displays the images in forums or in browser windows is going to totally ignore things like the dpi flags anyway).

Then, when you export the image to JPEG (or use a File>Save As feature), you should see a dialogue box with a JPEG Quality slider. See what you get at around 80 for a file size (and you can right click on an image in something like Windows Explorer, click on Properties and see things like the dimensions and file size).

Lightroom Quality is really higher than some other software at that setting. So, you may need to use around 70 instead (and I've read that's closer to an 8 in Photoshop). Also note that image content will determine how well an image compresses for a given JPEG quality setting. So, you may have to figure out what works best in Lightroom for images that size.

Some versions of Lightroom may also give you a target file size in that dialogue box (so you can use it instead of the Quality slider and let it figure it out).

But, you'll need to keep the file size down to no larger than 253.9KB unless you want the forums software stripping out any EXIF info and recompressing your images. The Quality Slider is what is going to control the final file size for an image you're exporting or saving.

If you're not sure what it is, just use your Operating System's File Manager (Windows Explorer, OS X Finder, etc.), and you should be able to see the file size when browsing a folder with the image in it. With Windows, I think you can right click on an image and use a Properties or Information menu choice to see things like file size and dimensions in pixels, too.

Otherwise (if the file size is greater than 253.9KB or the longest side is more than 1024 pixels), the forums software is going to resize and/or recompress the images and strip out the EXIF information.

I see that happened with the first photos you posted in this thread so far:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ne...ettings-2.html

So, either the file size or the dimensions were still too large and the forums software recompressed them and stripped out the EXIF (I can tell because it puts an IPTC comment into the metadata when it does that)

The Forums Software will still try to let you attach them if the file size or dimensions are too large (up to a point, then you'll see errors).

But, it's going to resize and/or recompress them (which means you may end up with lower quality than if you did it yourself).

So, it's a good idea to resize them before attaching them, making sure the file size is 253.9KB or less, and the longest side is 1024 pixels or less. If you do that, then the forums software is not going to modify the images you attach.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 7:20 AM   #4

Default test post

test w/ slider in lightroom set to 49 (quality)
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2012, 7:35 AM   #5

I'm not sure if I can wrap my brain around all the sizing. When I set the quality slider to 70 and looked in properties it was W 2848 and H 4288, so I went w/ the 49 quality and it gave me the exact same numbers for the properties...I was able to post anyway?

Can you tell if its been striped?

Thanks
Jen
Old May 22, 2012, 7:45 AM   #6

Default test #2

size long side to 1000 and quality slider to 70 hopefully this should do the trick?? (~~trying to figure this out while getting family out the door in time for school/work...) Thanks for you patience. Let me know if this is better.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2012, 8:08 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink11 View Post
I'm not sure if I can wrap my brain around all the sizing. When I set the quality slider to 70 and looked in properties it was W 2848 and H 4288, so I went w/ the 49 quality and it gave me the exact same numbers for the properties...I was able to post anyway?

Can you tell if its been striped?
Yes, any metadata was stripped out and it was resized and recompressed.

You need to resize it first before exporting or using save as (you're saying your longest side was 4288 pixels). ;-)

It needs to be resized so that the longest dimension is no longer than 1024 pixels.

Quote:
size long side to 1000 and quality slider to 70 hopefully this should do the trick?? (~~trying to figure this out while getting family out the door in time for school/work...) Thanks for you patience. Let me know if this is better.
That last one was fine, and the EXIF is still there. So, the forums software did not modify it. You've got it figured out now.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 8:15 AM   #8

Your last photo does contain the metadata. It can take a bit to understand the process, but you seem to have it now.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote