Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 22, 2012, 5:12 PM   #1

Default Need Help with my Powershot A1000 IS

Hello - This is my first post on here. I'm asking for help since I can't find an answer in my user guide that came with my camera. My problem is this...I took a video of my son's first haircut at the barbers (so it's very important to me) and now I can't get the video to transfer to my computer like all my other pictures and video does. I get two different things...one saying that the current picture could not be copied when it is clearly not a picture and the second is when I click to see "the detailed error information" it says theres not enough storage available to complete this operation. Why?? The video is the only thing on my memory card.
Any help would be grateful!
bludaisy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2012, 7:43 PM   #2

It seems to be trying to tell you that your computer's hard drive is too full. This may mean that there aren't enough contiguous sectors available to store the video.
Do you use Windows or Mac? (and which version?) I'm taking a wild guess that you may need to defragment your hard drive. Check your available disk space, and if that looks ok, try the defragment tool.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 6:18 AM   #3

Hi Brian -

I have Windows XP...and I will try what you said when I have a moment later in the week. It's funny that you say that because I got an error message like that (about the hard drive didn't have enough space) sometime long ago but then it went away so I didn't bother with it. I was confused about that error because I store all video and pictures on an external hard drive...there's not much on my computer especially since I just returned it to stock status due to some big problems I was having so I just started fresh. Also when I got my computer many years ago, the salesman told me I should never have a problem with memory or space with it because it had so much. I just don't get it...may need an expert to check it out. Thanks again for the info, I will at least try that for now. By-the-way....you have a very pretty cat.
bludaisy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 10:32 AM   #4

I run into a similar problem with video, trying to watch something on an external drive connected to my XP desktop. I can't watch it from another machine on my network - it gives me a similar message about insufficient storage. The limitation may be in windows XP.
You may be able to work around it by copying the video to your computer's internal hard drive, and then from it, to the external drive. Make sure to copy, and not use transfer. Transfer will erase the original, and you want to make sure it gets copied correctly before you remove the original.

brian (thanks for the comments on my old buddy- he's gone but not forgotten)
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote