Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 3, 2004, 6:15 AM   #1

Default prosumer Digital SLR with active LCD Viewfinder

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a Digial SLR with an LCD that you can use as a viewfinder, and not just as a preview pane.

I want the versitilty of the interchangable lens, but as I suffer from arthritis I sometimes find it difficult holding cameras up to my eye.

Main features I require,
6MP.
interchangeable lens.
Active LCD viewfinder.
Compact Flash I/II (as I already have 4 x 1gb CF Cards)
USB 2 (preferable/but not a deal breaker)

It will be used for general use, very minor sporting events, and landscapes.

Thanks in advance.
scata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2004, 7:49 AM   #2

I don't know of one, but I haven't been doing research on the more recent models since I got my 10D.

The other feature that could cause you trouble is the USB2 built in. Not many cameras have that, I believe. It's another case of "stopped researching" but I haven't heard many say its there.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 8:03 AM   #3

You're not going to like this

There are no D-SLR's with interchangeable lenses and a Live view LCD on the back. I'ts by way of design of an D-SLR that its impossible to have an active LCD.

Olympus has camera, the camedia E -20(it has has a fixed lens though)

But if raising the camera to eye height is a problem, than a live lcd screen is not going to help jou.
Those screens are not that readable if not held at eye height, but jou need is a rotatable screen, like on a Canon G5, or a split body/lens design, like sony uses for their top- end digitals, the DSC-F707 / DSC-F717 / DSC-F828.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 9:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc H
You're not going to like this

There are no D-SLR's with interchangeable lenses and a Live view LCD on the back. I'ts by way of design of an D-SLR that its impossible to have an active LCD.
Thats what I thought after checking out the reviews/specs, just hoped I had missed one during my research.

Oh well back to my fallback option of a G5 with a Wide Converter, Tele converter, and Speedlite 420EX.

Or a Cyber-shot F828...

Unless anyone else has any idears? my problem is not lifting the camera up to head height, it is more bringing it in towards my eye.
scata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 1:59 PM   #5

If you are considering the Sony 828 also have a look at the Minolta A1. It has a stabilized 28-200 lens and some great features. The flip out LCD would also allow waist level shooting. It would also be easier to lift to eye level Ė the 828 is a real load.

Within the next week or two Minolta is rumored to be releasing the A2. My guess is that it will be basically the same camera with the 8Mp CCD. Could just have a longer telephoto though. Worth the wait IMO if you want more than 5Mp and donít want to carry a wide adapter. The A2 is likely to be noisy though if it has the 8Mp CCD.

Stabilization is a great feature. You can get a lot of shots handheld where other cameras would require a tripod.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 2:16 PM   #6

In the meantime, are you using a tripod? And have you thought about a monopod? In both cases, you don't have to raise the camera to your eye. A monopod is more easily transportable than tripods, and maybe it can help in the interim.

I have a live LCD on my Olympus, and after trying it just once, I never went back to it. Too tiny for these 58-year-old eyes. And on anything but a dismal day outdoors, I can't see much more than a ghost of an image.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote