Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 3, 2004, 10:00 AM   #1

Default Pop-up blockers

As far as I know, the only popups you'll see here are those alerting you that you've received a private message, so turn off the blocking mechanism for Steve's forums if you have a popup blocker.

The reason I mention this is that I sent a message a few days ago welcoming a new member who lives just a few short miles away from me. I suspect he has popups blocked and may also have opted out of e-mail alerts. Thus, he's unlikely to notice the little line at the top telling him he has a message.

So, even if you choose not to get e-mail alerts, you might want to turn on popups for just this site.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2004, 5:12 PM   #2
Administrator

As long as I am running this site you will NEVER be bothered by advertising popups or popunders or those never-ending spawned new windows. Advertising is done strictly by normal ad banners at the top and bottom of our pages.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 5:32 PM   #3

Steve

We thanky you for your diligence.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 6:16 PM   #4

well when you get PMs you can hold ctrl to let it through! (you prob know that already )
that is very good steve
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 6:54 PM   #5

Quote:
when you get PMs you can hold ctrl to let it through
That would work only if you know there's a message for you and if that's how your popup blocker works. Mine doesn't work that way.

Quote:
you will NEVER be bothered
If only every person had that same attitude! Popups, popunders, and spawned windows (the worst of all) are an amazing phenomenon to my mind. Do they really think people will buy more product when they're being harassed?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 8:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
Do they really think people will buy more product when they're being harassed?
You would think so, but people do, that's why popups, popunders, spam, and other advertising continues to increase.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 8:22 AM   #7

If you're not sure that you can receive the pop up alert (option 'on') or the new PM alert:

Just find a previous post, send yourself a PM, BUT exit your browser screen quickly before the PM inbox screen appears (which cancels the flags). Re-enter the Forum and find out what alerts you're getting to your own PM.

I've seen more posts here from people not getting alerts, than posts complaining about them (when Steve provides the option to turn them off!). VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 9:33 AM   #8

I do run a popup blocker and have never received a notice of a private message when I entered the forum. I do receive email notices of such and it does appear in the "You have new messages" menu at the top of the page.

While I applaud Steve's decision to keep his site free of those annoying pests, there are far too many that do not and for that reason I will run a pop-up detector.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 3:23 PM   #9

Well the google toolbar (which has a popup blocker, and which I recommend to everyone) lets you choose which sites you will allow popups to be. So right now I have popups allowed on this site, but not on any others.

Really useful, if you don't have it already, get it http://toolbar.google.com/ (I am not paid for saying that in any way )
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 3:36 PM   #10

The next version of Internet Explorer will have a built-in pop-up blocker.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote