Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:28 PM   #11

It would be nice if you can get a structured good foundation on the basics you need to know about taking a photograph. With that foundation you build on it through your personal experiences. Ive never had a photo less in my life, but I sure wish I had. I do things without really thinking about why, which wouldnt happen if I learned why in the first place.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:58 AM   #12

absolutely agree with just fiddle with it. I, too, am looking into self help type things to help me along with the new SX40hs
Val in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 1:56 PM   #13

G'day all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
.... Ive never had a photo less in my life, but I sure wish I had. I do things without really thinking about why, which wouldnt happen if I learned why in the first place.
Over the years I have often struggled with achieving 'something' and doing it the best way I can guess howto - only to find later from someone else the 'easy' way to do it

Equally - I find many of the magazines gloss over certain steps in their tutorials, and that when I try it, it just doesn't seem to work "as it's supposed to work" and my language alters such that my mother would not be impressed ....

So, I come to the above comment again ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
It would be nice if you can get a structured good foundation on the basics you need to know about taking a photograph. With that foundation you build on it through your personal experiences.
and I agree 100%

For the many I meet & hear from who say "DIY learning is best - and cheaper ..." I wonder how many of them got their motor car driving licence that way too

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:07 PM   #14

It is definitely a "different strokes for different folks" learning situation. I still want to take a photography class sometime, somewhere down the line. UCLA Extension offers at least one of their photography classes on-line and every quarter I look at it and think that this might be the time to finally take it. But I never seem to have the time. There are lots of other Universities and educational institutions that offer courses on-line, UCLA Extension just happens to be the one I'm most familiar with and the one I'm more likely to use (being from L.A.).

Much of what I've learned has been through reading books and experimenting, then getting feedback from boards like this. It's not exactly the best method for me because I often find myself stalled or making mistakes and not knowing enough to correct them. But I've learned a great deal from some of them, less from others. I've noticed that other people prefer some of the books I found less useful, and don't like the ones I prefer, so it is an individual thing.

But no matter how you get your knowledge, the only way to make use of it is by practice, practice, practice - or rather, take tons of pictures and then take more.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:23 PM   #15

Never really taken a course...except a one day course ...the Nikon School photo course. I found it very good....but that was about 30 years ago.

I find that once you have the basics down...the key is....practice, experiment, practice, experiment.

About 40 years ago...as you do... I drove commercial trucks....mostly in the city...but also had country runs. Now I know from experience, truck drivers are very busy...schedules to meet....loads to drop off/pick up and traffic just keeps on getting worse.

But one thing you might want to do is take your camera equipment....safely stored and ready to go in your truck cab. Make sure it's padded and belted in...electronic equipment can be sensitive to vibration and harshness....both of which are present in trucks.

When you have breaks/lunch...brief as it is...you might choose to stop at photogenic areas...if you're able.

Someone once said that some of the best photographers are those that those photographers that have the best scenery in front of their lens.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote