Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:03 AM   #1

Default Aperture priority HELP

Hi, I've been shooting for over a year now and mostly only shoot in Manual. I recently had the opportunity to second shoot a wedding, shooting in Manual was to slow. I tried switching to Aperture Priority and it completley got away from me.

I've been asked to "tag along" at a wedding this Sat. for experience, and would love to get a grip on exposing and exposure lock in this mode. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I shoot w/ a Nikon D90.

Thanks,
Jen
Wink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:00 AM   #2

Could you be a little more specific as to the problems you had? Were you using flash?
Flash use will cause the camera to use a shutter speed at or slower than flash sync speed, and this can sometimes be incompatible with the aperture you have set.
Not sure if this is the cause of your difficulties, but it is one of the most common.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:30 PM   #3

Thanks, Brian.

No, I wasn't using flash. I was trying to shoot bride in white and groom in black on a sunny day. I had them in and out of shade. I mostly kept in Manual because when in Aperture my shutter speed seemed to have epileptic seizures. I was in center weighted metering and would "try" and meter off the grass and trees. The slightest recomposure would change my shutter speed. Not sure how to meter and and keep my shutter speed from getting away from me in this mode.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:54 PM   #4

The white dress and black tux will get you every time.

I would use spot metering, put the spot on a face, and use the AE-L button to lock the exposure.

(Of course, this has nothing to do with whether you're in Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Program Auto, or any other exposure mode, for that matter.) (In fact, unless you're using a large aperture lens and want to keep a shallow DoF, you're probably better off with Programmed Auto.)

You could use the Exposure compensation to compensate for light skinned or dark skinned subjects, if needed. But otherwise you should be fine.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:22 PM   #5

My way of dealing with having bride in white, outdoors on a sunny day would be (sorry, I can't say that in a family forum- I'll stick to photo advice) to meter on the dress, and add 1 or two stops of +EV. This should keep the dress looking white without blowing out the highlights. The groom isn't there to be looked at anyway, but if you shoot RAW, you should be able to bring up some detail, if needed in the black tux.
Practice using the exposure lock, since metering each individual shot under the same conditions isn't really necessary. Once you have it set to what it needs to be, don't worry about the meter indication, as it is going to change when you reframe.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:10 PM   #6

Thanks Tcav and Brian. Brian, you are too funny!

Ok, so tomorrows practice I'll try the AE-L and the +EV.

Jen
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:27 AM   #7

try getting a reflector to push the light in shaded areas. Shoot Raw not sure if i would use centre weighted try other settings. good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote