Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 6, 2004, 4:04 PM   #1

Default Question on prosumer digi-cam design philosophy

Greetings, all!

I'm a former SLR user now using a prosumer digi-cam with auto-everything (didn't want to pay $$ for a digital SLR, but want the convenience of digital).
My only complaint with my camera is the slowness of motorized zoom, and not having a direct manual focus ring. I do appreciate the auto-focus and understand its value in a non-SLR camera.

Question: is there a good reason for digi-cams to have motorized focus and zoom? Are there some non-SLR digicams with SLR-like manual lens controls?
tommct is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2004, 4:17 PM   #2

If you want to spend some bucks the Minolta A1 would probably satisfy your needs. It has a big manual zoom ring and focus ring. As in all non-DSLR digitals the focus ring it actually electric, but it is in the right place and works well. The zoom ring is full manual and works very well. It also has image stabilization, efficient raw, more manual controls than any digital, 28mm wide with 7X zoom, Adobe RGB, efficient raw with big buffer and lots of other goodies. The A2 with probably 8Mp is about to be released which might drive down the price of the A1 a little. Or you could wait for the A2 to come down they are always pricey when first released.

Very reliable seller: http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/ma...ate=02_05_2004
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 6:27 PM   #3
hst

Default Look at the Fuji S7000

It is a motorized zoom however in addition to the standard buttons there is a ring on the front of the lense that twist and acts like a manual zoom ring. It works great and the camera takes very good pictures.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 10:11 PM   #4

Quote:
It is a motorized zoom however in addition to the standard buttons there is a ring on the front of the lense that twist and acts like a manual zoom ring. It works great and the camera takes very good pictures.
I think that I must have missed a step here in this thread. . .

hst-
What camera are you referring to?

It can't be the Minolta A1; since it has full, direct/mechanical linkage for the zoom control--which was a key feature that caused me to buy it, along with the 28mm (eq) wide end of the zoom range.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote