Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 7, 2004, 4:14 PM   #1

Default Epson 4x6 Printing Problems?

I just received a Epson C84 printer and I can't seem to get it to print a borderless 4x6 correctly. It seems to crop part of the picture on the left or right, thinking this is a probem using Espon's Film Factory software I switched to Photoshop 7 and tried again but it still cut off part of my picture.

If anyone knows a fix please let me know - I'm new to photo printing but it doesn't seem it should be this hard? :?:

Thanks for any info!
jreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2004, 10:21 PM   #2

Default Re: Epson 4x6 Printing Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreed
I can't seem to get it to print a borderless 4x6 correctly.
If this is an image from your digicam, it probably isn't the same shape as 4x6, so the printer has got to crop it somehow.

Most digicams have an aspect ratio (width:height) of 4:3, like ordinary TV screens and computer monitors. Old-fashioned, steam-powered 35mm film cameras images have a shape in the ratio 3:2, i.e., 6:4. That's why machine photo prints are 6x4.

To get your whole image to print on 6x4 paper, you'll have to shrink it to 5.3 inches x 4 inches, or crop it yourself in an image editor to the right 3:2 shape, and *then* ask for a borderless 6x4 print.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 1:29 AM   #3

In Photoshop select the crop tool. In the box at the top put 6 inches in the width and 4 inches in the height (or the other way round) with NOTHING in the PPI or resolution box. Then crop the picture – it will let you know what you have to chop off from a 4:3 image to get a 4 X 6. And you can adjust what part you crop. After you have a 4 X 6 it should print borderless.

It is odd the printer would crop the sides unless the image is vertical – you normally lose a little off the top and bottom to go to a 4 X 6 with a horizontal shot.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 7:37 PM   #4

Hey thanks for the replies! OK I'm getting closer, slipe I did what you said by setting the crop width to 6 in and height to 4 in (this is a landscape setting picture), then I selected the image using the selection tool, and it cropped the bottom of the image and the width stayed the same to make it 6in x 4 in. Then I tried to print, I went to 'page setup' and verified I had paper size set to 4x6 inch and source set to Sheet (borderless) and my orientation is landscape. Then when I go to print and go into printer properties I verified I have borderless and 4x6 size turned on in Epson setup section. However now when I OK everything to print I have it set to show me a preview of what the print will look like just before I print and the left and right sides fo the picture and been cropped. Which confuses me since I thought it was correctly set???

Thanks for your help so far![/img]
Old Feb 8, 2004, 11:02 PM   #5

Are you sure the printer properties is set to “Landscape”
Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:15 PM   #6

Yes, I double checked and printed it again and still the edges were not there. I did try something that may help explain more I printed the same picture again and this time I told it I was using 4x6 paper and landscape and borderless, etc. all the same settings as before except this time I used normal 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper so I could see exactly what was being printed. Well this time everything printed out - the entire picture the left and right sides were complete and not cropped. But when I measure the area of the picture I printed on 8 1/2 x 11 paper it's dimensions were 4 1/8 inch x 6 1/8 inch? (So should I have cropped it 3.875 x 5.875? subtracting 1/8 inch less from the width and height)
However in my cropping I specifically told it 4x6 and used the selection tool to select that size allowed.
I could upload the picture I'm having trouble printing to a place you could download it, if you would like to look at it? Maybe that way you could tell if I correctly cropped it to the 4x6 size.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 4:51 PM   #7

After you crop it in Photoshop go Image>Image size. If it says the image is 6 X 4 then something is screwy in the Epson software, because they print at exactly the size indicated on both my HP and Canon.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 8:56 PM   #8

Yes you must be right in that there's something screwy with Epson's drivers or software because when I do go into Photoshop after cropping the picture and go to Image>Image size. If it says the image is 6 X 4, but when it prints it doesn't fit. I know after I print from photoshop it still goes through Epson's software, I wish there was a way to bypass Epson processing the photo.

Thanks for all your help![/img]
Old Feb 10, 2004, 8:58 AM   #9

Epson makes competent printers and driver software. Check your printer properties and try turning on or off fitting the image to the page and check there isn’t any scaling.

You might also try printing from Irfanview after you crop the image in Photoshop. Irfanview has a nice print setup. You have to OK the regular print box before you get it though.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:44 AM   #10

How does the preview look when you do a "Print with Preview" in Photoshop? Are the edges truncated there?
gzillgi is offline   Reply With Quote