Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 9, 2004, 9:41 AM   #1

Default REQ: good docs for learning Dig Cam setting uses

I think this would be a good one for the Newbie forum: Is there a site or document online somewhere that gives good advice for what the different settings on a digital camera do and how to use them effectively? For instance, not many would know how to use shutter speed or aperture priority modes or even what they are for. And what about ISO? Some go straight from a simple point-and-shoot camera to a digital without ever having used any of these things. I know I would like to read such a manual/document/site. Thanks in advance for pointers or URLs.
kettir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2004, 10:08 AM   #2

Hi, I'm a newbie, also taking my first photography class. It sounds like the info you're talking about is general photography information. I have found photo.net and shortcourses.com to be particularly helpful for me. I'll be interested to see what others have found useful. Good luck!

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 11:28 AM   #3

Amy has pointed you to a very good site for beginners. The site also offers some more advanced books.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:09 AM   #4

Thanks to all for the site recommendations. Those are indeed very good resources and I've already learned some things about aperture and shutter use.
kettir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:51 AM   #5

No problem! It's kind of overwhelming (for me, anyway). Good luck!

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:54 AM   #6

Amy is right when saying these are general photography subjects. Though each camera handles such aspects in its own way, the basics are the same regardless of whether the camera is film or digital. By going to library book sales, I've developed a huge collection of photography books. Though their subject is film photography, I've learned more from them than from any books dedicated to digital. (And ditto to the value of photo.net and shortcourses.com.)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote