Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 12, 2012, 5:49 AM   #1

Default Frustrated!

Hello...I probably should have used "frustrated" as my user name, because that describes me when I buy anything new these days!

I've just purchased a Canon SX 500 IS. I purchased after hours of researching and reading all about things I didn't understand, as I'm an amateur photographer. I like to take macro shots, family pictures and love getting good photos of my birds....nothing too complicated!

Has anyone any experience with this camera.....

I have been snapping pics for days and have yet to get a good one. The shaky camera symbol is always there, no matter how still I try to hold the camera. I assume that is why my pics aren't as sharp as I'd like. I'm tempted to just say this camera is faulty, or just not good quality, but I think the problem may be in the hands of the user! Help!!!!

Last edited by SharonC; Nov 13, 2012 at 7:55 AM.
SharonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:43 AM   #2

I've just snapped a few random shots...When I got the "shaking camera" symbol, I turned the camera off and tried again from exactly the same position. Symbol disappears but comes back after a couple of shots. Turning off the camera works temporarily...why is that? Here's the photos...I just grabbed what was at hand during breakfast, so excuse the content.
Attached Images

Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:31 AM   #3

I believe the symbol you mention is just telling you that the image stabilization is on, and working.
I don't really see anything wrong with the photos you posted, given the type of shots they are. Using the orange as an example, if you are wanting everything to be in sharp focus, you have to understand that the closer you focus, the narrower will be the band where things are very sharp. The nearer or farther away things are from this band, the more blurred they will be. This Depth of Field can be increased by using a smaller aperture (higher f/number), but that lets in less light, so your shutter speed has to be longer (or the sensitivity (('film speed')) must be higher).
Hope this has helped some. Frustration is pretty normal at first, but as you learn the limitations of your equipment, and how to work with or around them, it gets better.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:27 AM   #4

Thanks...I've been so concerned about that flashing symbol! I'll stop worrying about that....
I'll just keep playing with the camera. I'm sure it will get better as I go, but the older I get, the more easily I get frustrated!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:16 AM   #5

When taking your pics- what mode are you in..?
The symbol you describe may well be warning you that "shake" is imminent- suggesting that either to too low a shutter speed or too low an iso is selected for the said shot/conditions.
This should not be an issue in "Auto",of course. In addition, make sure you have the IS actually switched on.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:58 AM   #6

I'm in auto mode, and the IS setting is on "continuous"...

I took a lot of pictures last night of my birds and fish, and ended up deleting them all. I've previously used my old CanonA540 to take similiar shots which have been fine. I have taken hundreds of shots with this camera and have kept none. The problem seems to be close ups, but from what I've read about this model, close ups and Macro shots are great. I don't expect to be a better photographer because of new equipment, but I do expect to be able to do what I've done with a "lesser" camera. I do think something is wrong....

I should say that I have not used the enclosed software CD, as I may want to return this camera within the two week return period. Surely, the working of the camera does not depend on that particular software....???

Last edited by SharonC; Nov 13, 2012 at 5:29 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 7:54 AM   #7

I've just called the store, and find that I have until Dec1 to return for full refund. I think I'll be returning it, as taking pictures should not be this difficult with a good point and shoot...using Auto mode. Really, an idiot should be able to take decent shots with it!I'm not great, but I'm not an idiot, and I've often taken great shots with my old camera....I'd still be using that if it hadn't died. Either this camera is faulty or it's a piece of ####!

I've looked at quite a few cameras...I need a grip which rules out some of the smaller models. I don't really need a 30x Zoom, and I definitely don't want to sacrifice picture quality to get it. My BIL recommends the SX40, and I initially ruled it out because it was a little larger than I wanted...maybe I'll take another look....
I've actually read some reviews on the SX40, and image quality is a little flat from the camera???

Can anyone recommend a camera that takes nice sharp photos...with a body grip.

Last edited by SharonC; Nov 13, 2012 at 9:03 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:44 PM   #8

Maybe there was indeed an issue with this particular camera, rather than being a useless camera per se'.
As for the SX40- I had one and it was great.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:23 PM   #9

G'day Sharon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonC View Post
I've just called the store, ...... .
How about popping back into the store to get them to double check in the store?
Get them to set Auto white balance; auto ISO setting; auto exposure & auto focus??

Maybe also you could try a few pix outside the house - at various zoom settings to see if/when this little waving-hand is there &/or disappears

fwiw - I think that any lens over about 24x is asking too much of the optics & camera shake does become a bit issue

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:47 PM   #10

FWIW, looking at the textural detail in the linens in the first shot, I don't really see a problem with focus or motion blur. It does seem to have some noise, so that may be the issue. The pictures don't have Exif info, making it hard to isolate a problem. My guess would be that, the pictures being taken under indoor lighting, hand held, and without flash, the camera boosted the ISO, causing the noise to be more prevalent and appearing less sharp.
The way to check this would be to re-take the shots with the camera supported, or to use the flash (or both).

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote