Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:30 PM   #1

Default Digital picture frames ???

Who makes the best Digital picture frames for displaying your digital photos ? I hear that Sony makes a good one. I'm looking for high resolution image display in a 10 inch size screen. Your opinions please. Thanks.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2012, 2:58 PM   #2

I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons, but from the several I have seen, I couldn't perceive any differences that stood out.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 3:04 PM   #3

What matters is the off-angle view, and the only way to see that is to see it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 4:48 PM   #4

"Off angle view", yes, you must be talking about LED vs LCD screens. I recall reading that LED is better but I don't really know. I don't even know if digital picture frames are even offered in both types. Anyone know and which brand that they would endorse ? Thanks.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:38 PM   #5

Let me just mention something that I read in a rather charming little book,
"Science for the curious photographer" by Charles S. Johnson, Jr. ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156...ls_o00_s00_i00 ) When discussion perspective, he pointed out that the usual field-of-view image showing rectangles in an image for different focal length lenses from the same perspective applies to prints as well as lenses -- for a given viewing distance, the relative size of those boxes should reflect the relative size of the prints, with the shorter focal length shots being larger and the long lens shots being smaller if you want to maintain the perspective.

One take-away for that is that digital frames are probably not really appropriate for displaying any photos that you are serious about. Just something to think about.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 1:00 PM   #6

I would concede that digital photo frames are mostly for snapshots, not for photographs.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I would concede that digital photo frames are mostly for snapshots, not for photographs.
Johnson's point really struck me, which is why I wanted to mention it. I have thought about perspective when composing a shot, of course. But I have never bothered thinking about the ramifications of perspective when viewing a print. It was obvious when he pointed it out, but I imagine that I'm not the only dolt on the planet who has given more thought to taking the photo than I have to printing and displaying the final product. So I thought it was worth sharing, in case others were as dense as I am.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
My wife would disagree with you on that statement. We use two digital frames at home as there is no way she is going to let me cover all the walls in the house with photographs. Do have a few photos framed and hanging on the wall but they have to fit (blend) with the room's decor. Picture frame photos can and in our house are of everything we think is a good picture. Digital picture frames in the long run are much cheaper than printing and framing photos, so I suggest that when buying a digital picture frame buy top of the line.