Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 25, 2012, 2:13 PM   #1

Default dSLR camera advice

Hey everyone, I know there are a 1000 threads like this, so I apologize for creating a new one.

I want to buy a dSLR camera (obviously). I am on a budget - I can't spend more than 500 Euro (that's around 650$) on the body/body + kit lens.
I am not going to shoot any sports or anything fast moving.
I travel a lot and I want a good camera with me. I will also be shooting food quite often
Oh, and also, I'm going to have 2 semesters of photography in the university, it's a (very small) part of my major, so I guess they'll make us take all sorts of pictures.

After some research, I narrowed it down to Canon Rebel T3 (1100d) and Nikon d3200. I know on paper the Nikon is better, but the main reason to consider the Canon is because it's 100eur cheaper and I'm not sure if it's not better to invest in some lenses rather than the body. Also, Canon lenses seem to be cheaper, too and I noticed that some of the Nikon lenses are not compatible with the d3200.
Another question about the lenses is if I should get a body with a kit lens, or just a body and some other lens? Either way, I am going to get a 50mm f/1.8 lens right away.
So, what do you guys think? Should I go for the better on paper Nikon d3200, or should I get the Canon Rebel T3 and invest in more lenses? Or do you have another suggestion?

Thanks for your time!

P.S. I went to the store and tried out both cameras, both felt ok, the only "disappointment" I had was in the Nikon - through the viewfinder the picture looked nothing like the result shown on the screen, it was always more blurred. The Canon viewfinder showed me exactly what I was going to get. I did a little research and decided it was probably because of that diopter option that the Nikon has, maybe someone before me adjusted it and I had no idea it existed at the time. Or, did anyone have that problem too?

Last edited by Marina90; Nov 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM.
Marina90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2012, 2:51 PM   #2

I don't think much of the T3, but it comes with a nice stabilized kit lens, but the Canon 50mm f/1.8 isn't as good as the Nikon.

Since my major criterion is the available lenses, I'm torn.

Have you handled either of them?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 3:02 PM   #3

They are both base line dslr form canon and nikon not a whole lot of differences between them. The canon is a good camera, and if you like the fit and feel of the. The 50 1.8 is a lot older design then the current 50 form nikon that AF on the d3200. So I would expect the new nikon 50 to be better. But the canon 50 1.8 is a good value lens and does a pretty decent job for a beginner or intermediate lens.

If cost is important, the canon is a bit easier on the wallet when you factor in the 50 1.8 you will save over 170 euros with the canon kit. That can be put toward sdhc cars, and spare batteries. Which is important as well.

The nikon is newer then the T3 so it on paper it is better, but I doubt there is much difference in real life.

Both brands have a very good lens line up, and canon are coming out with some more lenses according to the rumor mills.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 3:43 PM   #4

Do you know if your university course will allow you to use a digital camera? Many of the university and college courses here in the states specify 35mm film for these courses. You wouldn't want to purchase a new digital camera and then find you had to buy another, film, camera for your course, unless you have an unlimited budget, and it sounds, from your post, as if that is not the case.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 3:52 PM   #5

TCav, yes, I went to the store to see them both (you can see at the end of my first post).

I also read somewhere that there is a way to use a Nikon lens on a Canon. What would you say about that?

shoturtle, I see you are from Frankfurt and I live in Germany at the moment. I have just seen the offers in Saturn and Mediamarkt (and also on amazon and ebay). Is there another store I should check out? I didn't find a great variety of lenses in these two. However, I was considering an offer they had for a Canon EOS 550D with two lenses (18-55III and 75-300III) for 600 Eur.

If I go for the Canon EOS 1100D, I would probably consider getting one more lens (other than the 50 1.8. Do you have any suggestions?

And thank you for the quick replies!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 3:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Do you know if your university course will allow you to use a digital camera? Many of the university and college courses here in the states specify 35mm film for these courses. You wouldn't want to purchase a new digital camera and then find you had to buy another, film, camera for your course, unless you have an unlimited budget, and it sounds, from your post, as if that is not the case.

brian
That's a good question, but I don't think there's a special requirement. Someone would have told us by now, I hope I'll ask, though, just in case.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 4:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina90 View Post
TCav, yes, I went to the store to see them both (you can see at the end of my first post).
Yes, I see that. I think it's possible that I was composing my reply while you were editting your original post.

If you feel more comfortable with the Canon than the Nikon, that's as good a reason as any to pick one over the other, given how closely matched they are.

Quote:
I also read somewhere that there is a way to use a Nikon lens on a Canon. What would you say about that?
Yes, but you won't get autofocus or autoexposure, and you may not get infinity focus. That's fine if you've got a really great lens or two and you want to use them with whatever camera you get, but it's not a good way to start a new system.

Quote:
I have just seen the offers in Saturn and Mediamarkt (and also on amazon and ebay). Is there another store I should check out? I didn't find a great variety of lenses in these two. However, I was considering an offer they had for a Canon EOS 550D with two lenses (18-55III and 75-300III) for 600 Eur.
That's a good camera body, but the Canon 75-300 is pretty bad. If that's a good deal without the 75-300, then go for it, but don't get it because of the 75-300.

Quote:
If I go for the Canon EOS 1100D, I would probably consider getting one more lens (other than the 50 1.8. Do you have any suggestions?
If you're looking for a telephoto zoom, look at the Canon 55-250, the Tamron 70-300 Di LD, or the Tamron 55-200 Di II. They're all better than the Canon 75-300.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 4:48 PM   #8

Quote:

shoturtle, I see you are from Frankfurt and I live in Germany at the moment. I have just seen the offers in Saturn and Mediamarkt (and also on amazon and ebay). Is there another store I should check out? I didn't find a great variety of lenses in these two. However, I was considering an offer they had for a Canon EOS 550D with two lenses (18-55III and 75-300III) for 600 Eur.

And thank you for the quick replies!

Kamera is a chain that carries a decent selection of lenses in Germany. Amazon and Saturn and MediaMarkt are all about the same price, since it is christmas season, you will start seeing more package deals.

I would hold off on the longer zoom, the one you mention is not a great lens. The 55-250 is a much better lens then the 75-300. And since you are starting a class, you will be better served with the kit lens and the 50 1.8 over the long zoom to start out with.

But keep an eye out on the sale circulars. There will be more deals coming I am pretty sure as we get closer to Xmas. And you get decent deals at Saturn and MediaMarkt and amazon.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:50 PM   #9

Yes, I'll wait for the Christmas deals for sure and I won't be buying kits with the 75-300, thanks for the heads up. I will also keep in mind the 55-250 in case I have too much money left ha-ha

Oh, one more question - what about the flash? Are build-in flashes any good, or should I consider buying one?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:13 PM   #10

The built in flash are only good for really close up shooting and snap shots. If you are going to get serious about flash photography, get a sigma 610 on the lower price side their firmware is a bit lacking imho. But they put down allot of light, on a better quality the metz 50.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 25, 2012 at 7:15 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote