Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:00 PM   #1

Default New to digital, old to photography

Question! I have a new Canon T3i and I'm new to digital ... kinda. I've owned a Hasselblad 500CM and a bunch of lenses for 30 years and have run my own studio & color lab, so I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing and I rented a digital back for the Hassie (wasn't a great experience). BUT, I have a pc connected flash I want to use with the Canon and I know the flash pc contacts offer about 200 volts not many amps and I don't want to fry my new cam. Everyone is selling hot shoe pc units but don't indicate what voltages they protect. Any advise?
GeezerTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerTech View Post
Question! I have a new Canon T3i and I'm new to digital ... kinda. I've owned a Hasselblad 500CM and a bunch of lenses for 30 years and have run my own studio & color lab, so I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing and I rented a digital back for the Hassie (wasn't a great experience). BUT, I have a pc connected flash I want to use with the Canon and I know the flash pc contacts offer about 200 volts not many amps and I don't want to fry my new cam. Everyone is selling hot shoe pc units but don't indicate what voltages they protect. Any advise?
Geezer, HERE IS a thread that may shed some light on the subject.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:58 AM   #3

Last I checked the T3I/T4I did not have a PC sync terminal, neither does the 60D Canon dropped it from all the lower end model bodies.
So a PC only flash is not connectable without a separate hotshoe-pc adapter.
Like this one
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Adapter_1.html
It might get you going, but does not offer any over voltage protection (if they don't specify voltage protection they don't offer any, just pass the full zot through to the camera)

Or a more expensive Wein safe sync that reduces trigger voltage to 6v
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_Shoe_to.html

Interesting read on using these older flashes
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3038523

Last edited by PeterP; Jan 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the info guys. My old Metz 402 is a super powerful flash and I'd like to use it on my T3i. Peter, me thinks the cheap wireless route is for me if the wireless receiver can take the 200v shot.

Last edited by GeezerTech; Jan 7, 2013 at 4:44 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:25 AM   #5

Which wireless, the optical triggers or the inexpensive radio triggers that can be found ?

For optical triggers you need to get around the pre-flash that the t3i (and all modern cameras do)

For the inexpensive radio triggers watch out what batteries they use.
I originally got some inexpensive Chinese ones off e-bay that took a tiny 12v 23a battery in the transmitter. That was not so inexpensive to replace all the time.

The batteries in the old potato masher are still working?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerTech View Post
Thanks for the info guys. My old Metz 402 is a super powerful flash and I'd like to use it on my T3i. Peter, me thinks the cheap wireless route is for me if the wireless receiver can take the 200v shot.

I am an old film guy too...45 years...and I used Mamiya, Leica and Pentax in the film days.

I have a real good Vivitar 285HV flashgun that I wanted to use on my new digital cameras. But like you I worried about frying my cameras with the film flash...even though some said it would be ok....some said I would be taking a chance.

Finally I just made the plunge and bought a couple of digital compatible flashes for my Pentax and Canon digital equipment.

I bought a Pentax 360 flash for my Pentax digital cameras and a Canon 430 11 EX flash for my Canon digital camera.

In the end I figured why take a chance...and fry my new digital equipment.

Both flash digital compatible units work well and my old Vivitar 285 HV....I'm going to put it in a display case, along with my old film bodies.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:21 PM   #7

Peter, the batteries in the 402 are fine although they have bee replaced a number of times. A while ago I found a diagram how to solder and wire regular "C" size NiCad's. I tried it and it works but the flash does not seem to recover as fast with these.