Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 14, 2004, 12:35 PM   #11

The Minolta A1 lets you display a grid on the LCD -and- on the EVF, so sunny days are not a problem. Oddly though, it is a 4 x 4 grid; still it gives [me] a frame of reference for composing which is better than nothing. The A1 also has a graticule that resembles a gun sight that you can optionally select--good for macro shots or compositions featuring symmetry.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 1:09 PM   #12

Since I can look through my lens with the camera turned off, I'd have to say mine isn't electronic. I guess that also means it couldn't display a grid. No matter. I've got that grid sitting in my head (finally), and now all I need do is remember to use it. Unfortunately, my brain is arranged like my desk...or is it the other way around?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 2:33 PM   #13

The Panasonic DMC-fZ10 also has an option to but that grid on the EVF or the LCD. I find it very useful.

About croping, remember, don't make it so you have to crop too much, you are cropping out quality when you crop. For the most part it is not noticeable, just don't do more than a small percentage of empty space on the sides.
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 11:48 PM   #14

Also, most people in western nations read left to right, while certain oriental and arab languages are read right to left - people will tend to scan a picture in much the same way they scan a page of text for instance.which is also something to keep in mind if your photo has a target audience, to aid the "flow" of the road to the subject.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 11:53 PM   #15

The N80 and D100 both have the option to display the hatch grid in their viewfinders over the laser matte. Seems like its quite a cool feature, but it wasnt nearly enough to sway me from my 10D.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 7:58 AM   #16

Quote:
people will tend to scan a picture in much the same way they scan a page of text
That's a very important point. In the Western world, the most expensive location for an ad in printed matter is the top left because that's where people's eyes land first. I seriously doubt this is the most expensive location in Israel.

BUT...if we're really good, we can lead the eye from any one location to any other location. (I'm not that good.)
Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
Are you saying that some cameras come with the option of displaying the four intersecting lines on the LCD? I can't imagine trying to compose anything using the LCD on a sunny day.
I recently got my hands on a Fuji Finepix A210 which also has this feature in the LCD.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 5:38 PM   #18

A rule of thirds grid right on the lcd or evf what a great idea! I wish my Sony DSC-f828 had that, on the otherhand I've been shooting long enough that generally the rule of thirds is implemented automaticlly in my brain. Now if only I could remember to turn my brain on automaticlly when I am shooting!! :lol:
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 6:51 PM   #19

Does "Harleyguy" mean that you ride a Harley, used to ride a Harley, would like to ride a Harley, or is it just that one or another of your names is Harley?

The problem with the rule of thirds and our inability to remember it at times is that our minds focus on the center of interest and our bodies follow what our minds are doing. It's like aiming at a basketball hoop or maybe that tree alongside the road. We center and go toward what we're looking at. We have to remind ourselves constantly about not turning the center of interest into a bullseye.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 8:17 AM   #20

I tend to adjust my action shot composition out of the camera in Photoshop or NCE. I use the 3000 x 2000 pixel setting in my D100 and then crop to 2400 x 1600 for composition if required.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote