Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 13, 2004, 6:25 PM   #1

Default raw picture??

i noticed that the nikon 5700 takes raw photos sorry for asking but what is raw any way???
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2004, 6:35 PM   #2

It is the information directly from the sensor and not put into a format like JPG or TIFF. You can use the raw file and make settings in the software for white balance, sharpness, contrast and saturation just as if you had set them in the camera. Raw is more feature rich than TIFF and about 1/3 the size.

Raw files have to be decoded with software though. The newest Photoshop will work with them directly but for most purposes you have to convert them to a regular image format before you can use them.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:06 PM   #3

All cameras that include support for a RAW format also come with software that can convert them. They aren't always the easiest pieces of software to use, but they do get the job done.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 10:38 AM   #4

Default re raw

thanks guys
im very new to this as you see so do you think the i should jump in the deep end get this nikon 5700 and grow with it or get somthing like the z1?will the more pixels mean il get a better 7x5 print as im only going up to 10x8 somtime will 3.2 mill pixels do?
thanks again
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 11:30 AM   #5

You wonít see the difference even in an 8 X 10 if you donít crop at all. Most of us arenít perfect and have to crop a little though. A little still wonít make much difference. But if you find a small part of a picture that is great you are going to be a lot more limited with the 3Mp.

The Z1 is a competent camera and you can grow a lot with it. And the 10X zoom can be handy for nature shots. The 5700 is more of a semi-pro camera and there is a little more to grow into and more controls. Excellent camera IMO if you think you might get really serious about all this.

My point with 5Mp versus 3Mp is that those images are your lifetime memories and you donít know what you will be doing with them 10 years from now. With your 22,000 PPI wide format printer you picked up on rebate for $89 both are going to be pitiful, but 5Mp is going to be less pitiful than 3Mp.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 3:41 PM   #6

All else equal (it never is), the size that can be printed with 5Mp vs 3Mp is one of those rare things that can be exactly quanitfied. The increase in size is the square root of the ratio of pixel count: 29.099..% in this case. That is a real increase, though less than going from a 5x7" to 8x10" prints. Close to, but still less than going from 8x10" to 11x17".

That exactitude does not answer the perennial question, "How large a print can I make?" Most folks agree with Slipe that 8x10" prints can be made from a 3Mpixel image. I generally agree, though IMHO consumer 3Mp images of subjects with lots of detail don't work well at 8x10".

All is not equal though. In general, as pixel count increases so does noise. Even if the noise is still not noticable, it will limit usefull ISO and not work as well at very long exposures. There are other issues with cameras that can easily be more important than the difference in pixel count.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 4:17 PM   #7

Billís numbers are accurate as usual, but people sometimes get the wrong idea when they are presented that way.

At a given resolution you can make a print with twice the area if you have twice the Mp. So the picture is twice as large to my way of thinking. Of course the dimensions of the sides arenít double.

The Z1 has a 22.6 sq/mm sensor and the 5700 has a 58.1mm sensor. So the pixels are considerably more tightly packed on the Z1. That generally would make the Z1 a noisier camera even though it has fewer Mp.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 11:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
... The Z1 has a 22.6 sq/mm sensor and the 5700 has a 58.1mm sensor. So the pixels are considerably more tightly packed on the Z1. That generally would make the Z1 a noisier camera even though it has fewer Mp.
( Worth noting that the Nikon 5700 costs about twice as much as the Minolta Z1.)

I've not seen test data, but Slipe's comment makes a lot of sense. It seems that photo site density/size is a major determinate of noise, not pixel count. It will be interesting to see what the conclusions about the 8Mpixel cameras that are showing up with the same size CCDs (greater density and smaller photosites) as 4/5Mp cameras. Often with the same lens. Will they really be much of an improvement over the smaller/earlier versions?

Unless there is some other impovement (e.g., white balance, dynamic range, blooming, ...), I suspect there will not be even the 26.491.% increase in linear dimension that would be expected going from 5 to 8Mpixels in those cameras - noise will eat up much of the improvement that comes with increased pixel count. With any luck, that will slow down the "Mine Is Bigger Than YOURS" pixel count product developement and aim those resouces in other directions.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote