Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 14, 2004, 12:44 AM   #1

Default Original pics

I was always told to treat the original photos like a negative from my Olympus C-750 which I do now. I use Photshop Elements 2.0. When I browse through my originals with elements 2.0 is it like viewing the pic open and close. The reason why i ask is that i was told not to open the the originals because JPG format loses it's quality. I shoot in SHQ JPEG format. I hope this makes some kind of sense. :lol:
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2004, 1:12 AM   #2

No problem with what you are doing. You can open the image in any program and close it as long as you don’t save it. What you don’t want to do is “Save” from Elements or any other program or viewer. That overwrites your file with a new level of compression. Always “Save as” and put it in a different folder or give it a different name after you modify it if you want to keep the modified image as well.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 8:30 AM   #3

Slipe has it right. As an aditional safeguard, set your originals to "Read Only" so you cannot overwrite them accidentally. Get them onto CDR as soon as you can
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 10:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. Been very helpful.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 1:25 AM   #5

I put all the pictures off of a "pictures" folder (in there they pictures are sorted by the date they are taken. Not great, but not bad.)
If you are using windows, you can select the top level folder, get properties, and set "Read only". It will then set read only for all the pictures. The fastest way to do it, and it also covers up for when I forget to do it at the time of download.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 8:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
I put all the pictures off of a "pictures" folder (in there they pictures are sorted by the date they are taken. Not great, but not bad.)...
IMHO, filing the originals by date taken is the best way to go. keeping a "shooter's diary" with it means you can search for keywords and have a good chance to find the one(s) you want. As an example, if a diary entry is something like " Feb 14, 2004 - Cousin Bertha's wedding, ..." would indicate that would be a place to look for a picture of Uncle Fred.

I put a a copy of the complete diary on every CD so it is easy to find. In addition, I include the date in the name of the final edited image, e.g., UncFred040214.jpg. That date tells me where the original image is in case I want to go looking to see if I have a picture of Aunt Agnes.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote