Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 19, 2002, 9:31 AM   #1

Default Which filter do I use?

I'm confused about which filter to use on very bright sunny days. I have an ND8 filter and a circular polarizer but which one is best for these conditions? Does it really matter? Thanks!

SteveZ
Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2002, 9:41 AM   #2

You don't have to use either if the brightness is within the exposure limits of your camera. You can use a ND filter if you want to use different exposure values but not alter the image. Using a polarizer is a good way to make skys move vivid and make clouds stand out more.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2002, 9:08 AM   #3

Typically, a neutral density (ND) filter is used to lower the light level going into the camera to enable you to shoot at a lower f-stop and reduce the depth of field. e.g., when you want a subject in bright light to be in focus while the brightly lit background is out of focus.

Under most circumstances, you don't want an ND filter because it requires a longer exposure time and could lead to blurring. Some argue that, depending on the quality of the filter, it dulls the colors.

The polarizing filter was correctly described by padeye in the previous reply and does enhance those clouds or lets you choose whether to have a high level of reflection off water or glass, or no reflection at all.

The filter you want on your camera most of the time is the UV filter -- if for nothing else but to protect the lens.
reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 5:33 AM   #4

I took some pictures of my kids in water.. sea and river. the water was very eeerm shiney? to the point with one it loked like black sky and stars...Ok thats an extreme but other pics just too much shiney white bits.

I use an Uzi c2100 with a UV filter on. Should I plonk a polarizer on as well.. will that help in these circumstances.

I am a newbie and usualy point and click
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 10:16 AM   #5

a circular polarizer would be in order. it would take some of that eery shine down a bit. it will alow you a level of selective water reflection as wanted. on some days its effect will be dramatic on others not so. it all depends on the weather and time of day.

[Edited on 9-4-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 10:23 AM   #6

Fanx for that..I will get one.. Another silly question would be.. What effect if no glaring. If i leave it on like I do with the UV will it have no effect when no refelections..

I can try it and see but as I havent got it yet thought it worth asking first
Old Sep 4, 2002, 10:38 AM   #7

depending on the angle of the light (time of day) it will vary on window reflections and such. it will have somewhat of a ND effect about 1.5 or as they call it filter factor(light loss). also if gets smacked and broken your out a lot more money depending on what quality filter you buy. uv=cheap
cp= not so cheap

[Edited on 9-4-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 11:49 PM   #8

Here's a very well done article about the various filters done by an outdoor photographer... Many examples.

http://www.photosig.com/viewarticle.php?id=52
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 11:52 PM   #9

Very nice.. Thanks! and Bookmarked for furthur reading

My polarizer is on order
Old Sep 5, 2002, 7:45 PM   #10

Default Filters

M. Haner

Thanks for the link, very informative.

Louise Parrish
Louise Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote