Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 14, 2004, 9:55 AM   #1

Default Digicam resolution

Dear Folks,

I have recently purchased a DiMAGE Z1 and am having trouble with a book publisher (my wife is having a book published). The publisher has indicated that the resolution of 72 dpi, that this camera seems to produce in the "fine" mode, is way too low for the photos in the book. They are requesting at least 266 dpi. Being new at this digicam thingy, I had not really concerned myself with quantitative resolution in the past. Is there a way to get better resolution from this camera? And is 266 dpi beyond the reach of digicams?

Thanks,
Chuck
Baggerhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2004, 10:00 AM   #2
kex

don't care about these "72 dpi".
Every digicam provides 72 dpi pictures.
But what counts is the resolution of the picture, the dimensions.

For example, if you take a pic with your Z1, it has 2048x1536 pixels.

Which means that you could actually print photos at the size of 8x6 inch at 250 dpi.

You can use Klaus DK's calculator, too: http://www.hertz-ladiges.com/galphot...ing/robeng.htm
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 10:17 AM   #3

If you are leaving the 72 PPI in the resolution box and then resizing the print size in inches down to say 3 X 4 inches you are losing most of your pixels and the publisher is right. Almost any decent software that will crop and resize your images will have a “Resample” box – DO NOT CHECK IT or you will lose most of your pixels.

Print size doesn’t really have anything to do with the size of the image in pixels unless you check “resample”, leave the 72PPI and downsize the print size. Then it dumps pixels. If you don’t resample and downsize the print size your PPI will go up as it keeps all of the pixels and applies them to a smaller print.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 10:20 AM   #4
kex

I agree to you, slipe and thats actually what I wanted to say.

In photoshop you can change the resoltion from 72 dpi to let's say 200 dpi and the program changes the dimensions of the picture.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote