Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 14, 2004, 10:36 PM   #1

Default need some tips on taking pictures......

hello to everyone. im new to the worderful world of digital photography and i need some tips on "what to do and not to do" in taking up pictures. im currently using a minolta dimage f100. thnx for any help or suggestions you guys could give me.

best regards,
kronuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2004, 11:42 PM   #2

Go to the bookstore or library and pick up an instructional book on photography. Read the book, practice what the book teaches, then come back and ask specific questions that you don't quite understand.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 1:27 AM   #3

If you do a search on "book" on this site, you will hit several topics where we list some good books to learn about photography.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 8:21 AM   #4

Also visit some art galleries, look at the pictures in magazines, ... and try to think about how those images were captured. Take a lot of pictures, and think about each one before shooting so you learn to avoid things like a telephone pole growing out of your subject's head.

Shoot a lot: keep shooting that boring wall outside your bedroom window until you have an interesting picture of it. It might be shadows cast at a certian time of day, or a rooster at dawn, or the detail of a broken brick, or ....
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 1:40 PM   #5
kex

I bought the National Geographics Photo Guide some weeks ago and it's really interesting!
It tells the reader about general techniques and special photographies, such as portraits, macro and so on.
There are also some really good tips from the really good photographers of national geographics.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 9:30 PM   #6

hi guys! thnx for ur replies. one of my more specific questions is, whats the best resolution set for a digi cam if i was to take pictures and uploading it on the internet? do i need to put on the highest resolution settings? thnx for ur patience and comments.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 9:48 PM   #7

For uploading to the internet, higher resolutions are not necessary. Most photos uploaded to the web are around 800X600, maybe 1024X768, so 3-5 mpix is overkill. But, if you plan on printing out on anything larger than 4X6 paper, you'd be better off with higher resolution cameras.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 10:37 PM   #8

thnx ohenry for the fast reply wid regards to my question. im really eager to learn to be good at taking digital photos and also the process of manipulating it but i guess i have to concentrate first on hoaning my skills on taking pictures. i have no knowledge of the features like those "ISO" terms that i often hear & the "exposure" that is used here and this is one of my gripes becoz i cant maximize my camera coz i dont know how to really maximize it. anyways, i'll just try to learn shooting and shooting and learn from u guys. thnx and best regards!
Old Feb 15, 2004, 10:44 PM   #9

I always shoot a max resolution for one reason: I'm afraid that I'm going to capture that once in a lifetime photographic opportunity in only 1 megapixel. There's always that chance that when you're out photographing, you're going to get lucky and be presented with a shot you'll never have the chance to recreate.

That said, there are some expections. Taking pics for an ebay auction does not really require a high resolution. I would just use discretion, weighing the likelyhood of capturing an important photo vs. the need for space on your memory card.
awikenheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:00 AM   #10

yup, im currently using the highest resolution for my cam that is about 2272x1704 and it does eat up alot on my memory card but its worth it when considering i want to shoot a very nice scene or subject.