Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 16, 2004, 2:47 AM   #1

Default re; the use of flash on close subjects.....

hello gud pipol! i just wanna ask what should i do if i wanna take pictures of a subject on MACRO mode without the flash relecting too much light on the surface of the subject or adjust it to reduce the flach reflections. thnx in advance!
kronuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2004, 5:34 AM   #2

The few serious macro pics I've done were taken in daylight. Macro flash can be tricky - that's why they make ring flash units with variable power output. Your internal camera flash will be more optimised for distance shooting.

You could play with the flash power settings, but that probably won't eliminate reflections. Personally, if I had to use flash, I'd try an external unit held say 1 M away - possibly add a diffuser to the front. There's plenty of light output and it's likely to be more even if the light source is further away.

Actually you may need surprisingly little light close up for macro work, the problem is usually too much and concentrated rather than too little. Have you experimented with halogen mini spots and white balanced for tungsten? VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 5:38 AM   #3

Several tricks have been suggested and which one works best might require some experimentation.

1) Check your manual to see if your flash has an option to auto sense the amount of light required and then automatically tone down your flash. The exact procedure varies from camera to camera if it is available.

2) Place a thin gauze material in front of your flash to reduce the intensity of the flash.

3) Try using artificial light and correct for the color imbalance either with camera settings or preferably with a decent photo edtor.

Hope this helps.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 6:16 AM   #4

...What Selvin said. I frequently use a piece of white paper in front of the flash to help diffuse it a bit, but for best results you should either use natural (available) light, an off-camera flash that's bounced, or other diffused artificial lighting.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 7:48 PM   #5

thnx for ur tips guys, its just that my camera doesnt support an external flash, im using a minolta Dimage F100. but i will try the tricks u just mentioned and will post it here soon for the result. thnx again and have a great day!

regards,
bryan
kronuz is offline   Reply With Quote