Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 18, 2004, 4:49 AM   #1

Default Need Help Buying a camcorder/digital camera

Hi Guys,

I hope you are all doing fine. Anyway I'm glad I found this site and I'm sure a lot of you can help me.

I've been looking around lately for those gadgets that can take videos and digital stills and there's a lot of them!

I plan to buy one no later than june for my overseas trip but I'm really no good at this stuff. But I also don't want to buy an inferior product. I want something that can take videos and digital stills/photos. I don't want to carry two different items thats why I want one of those. I plan to pay no more than $800 if possible.

I hope somebody can recommend something. I don't care if its a mini dv or hi8 or what have you. As long as it can take good videos and photos.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dale
J3remyfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2004, 6:41 AM   #2

Isn't there an Olympus C-770 coming in April/May w/ MPEG4 movies? As a gadget, this sounds good

Anyway, I suggest you do it my way: surf along, read some reviews, set up some minimum specs (zoom, speed, zoomspeed, wanted #Mpixels, many features or more the "point 'n shoot"-way, ...), make a list of candidate-cams and start eliminating.
It's a rather slow way of working (can't choose between Oly C-750 and Kodak 6490; or should I take the Canon G5 or Pentax 555?). But I learned a lot...

Good luck!
Ignorance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 7:47 AM   #3

Default Re: Need Help Buying a camcorder/digital camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3remyfury
... I plan to buy one no later than june for my overseas trip ...
Whatever you get, get it as much in advance of your trip as possible. A couple/four months of dinging about with the camera before the trip will mean that you won't be spending any of your time overseas figuring out your camera. You will also figure out what extras you need: batteries (how many?), memory/tapes (how much?), external storage, ... before you go. You will have a chance to figure out your photo/video editor so you will be ready to deal with your images when you get back.

Digicams take (at best) mediocre to poor videos: Videocams take (at best) low resolution still images. So if you are going to take only one, decide which is the most important to you and recognize that you are going to have (at best) dubious use of the other. I think that will change as the Fovean chip gets into use, but that isn't going to happen next month/year.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 12:13 PM   #4

Are you looking for backward compatibility? For example, my 8mm video cam died so I had two options, try to find an 8mm player or buy a digital 8 camera that would play my 8mm tapes. Once again, I didn't do enough research and disregarded my third option, just getting a new hi-8 camera.

The problem that I have with the digital 8 is that a 120 minute tape only lasts for 60 minutes. That could mean a lot of tape on a vacation.

So, whatever you buy, look at how many tapes you'll need.

My vidoe cam has two ways of taking stills. One is that it will store low res stills on a memory stick. The other is that it will capture single frames on tape which seem to be the same resolution as the regular motion pictures. I haven't played with these options much so I can't speak authoritatively about them.
Yaworski is offline   Reply With Quote