Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:52 PM   #1

Default Buying digital camera online - voltage problem

Hello!I want buy digital camera online from amazon or any other options because new camera is half priced than in my country.I am from Croatia in Europe and here we have electric that is on 240 volts i know that in America there is 110 v.so if i buy digital camera do i need VOLTAGE CONVENTER that changing voltage or i only need ADAPTER with european pins(spikes) becouse i heard that new apliances where writes 110-240 v/50-60 hertz can work inAmerica and Europe normaly is that true? Sorry on my bad english.
splicanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:46 AM   #2

Most new equipment uses AC adapters that will work on 100 volts up to 250 volts. The best way to find out, is to go the the US website for the manufacturer of the camera you want to buy, and look for the specifications.
A small transformer for 240v-120v should not be very expensive, if you do need to purchase one.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:30 PM   #3

That means that if i buy from amazon i dont need voltage converter only adapter for european pins on cable? And is safe to plug in camera on pc usb if on camerawrites 110-240v wihout any fear of problems ?
splicanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:23 PM   #4

G'day mate

Maybe these images will help you a bit ~ this is the battery charger for my Panasonic - but it's the same sort of thing for all cameras

1- the battery charger unit

2- the voltage information

3- the 240volt connector

I also know what you mean about "i need ADAPTER with european pins" as when we in Australia order electrical goods over the internet, they always seem to come with the American 2-pin power cables that are immediately chucked into the bin and replaced with our own power cables

Good luck with your new camera when you get it

Hope this helps you
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by splicanin View Post
That means that if i buy from amazon i dont need voltage converter only adapter for european pins on cable? And is safe to plug in camera on pc usb if on camerawrites 110-240v wihout any fear of problems ?
Yes, as long as the adapter is rated for your voltage, you only need the pin adapter. the pc usb votage is regulated by the pc, and this is the same world wide.

brian
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:45 AM   #6

you will have to check the voltage range of the charger. there are still problems that i see but easy to overcome the plug will be a USA one so adapter needed for that.
sorry to say this but i think you may well find that USA chargers are only 110v, the ones out side the USA are 110-240v, so you may have to get a new charger
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:30 AM   #7

More and more, the AC adapters/battery chargers are being made as universal voltage types, as it is less costly to build just one kind for everywhere. Here is a screen capture of the specs from a Panasonic FZ-60, taken from Steve's reviews:
Attached Images

Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by splicanin View Post
Hello!I want buy digital camera online from amazon or any other options because new camera is half priced than in my country.
Have you checked to see if the vendors will even ship a camera to your country (and if so, what that shipping would cost)?

If so, have you looked into potential issues with customs officials in your country (import duties and tariffs, etc.) that could cause the items to be seized until you pay any taxes or tariffs on an imported item?

How about warranty issues? Some manufacturers will only service an item if it's purchased from an authorized dealer in the country it was designed to be sold in. That's done for a variety of reasons (to insure the product meets the local regulations for the market it's being sold in for electrical restrictions, etc.), not to mention differences in video types (for example, PAL versus NTSC). So, if you have a warranty issue, you may have to ship it back to the U.S. to get an item fixed in some cases.

As for other differences, some models can be configured via menus to work in other regions (language, video type, etc.). But, in some cases, models are designed to have the correct video type for a specific region and are not configurable.

Chances are, the chargers used by most manufacturers will work with either U.S. or European type outlets (110/240 volt designs), as long as you have the correct cord to use with them. If not, you can find inexpensive adapters and voltage converters designed for people that travel between different regions.

But, I'd be more concerned about the other potential issues (like shipping costs, warranty coverage, potential import duties and tariffs, ability to configure a given model to use the correct video mode for your region if recording video, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:18 AM   #9

this is a common issue when you buy device outside your country, it's good that you take care about the voltage difference, but do not worry, from what you posted, it should be compatible.
joewilliam22 is offline   Reply With Quote