Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 22, 2013, 7:40 AM   #1

Default Can't get out of Automode

Hello,

I am not new to photography. I was very active in photography over twenty years ago.

I got back into photography over the last few years. I went digital 4 years ago.

I currently use a Canon Power Shoot XS 120.

Last December I finally purchased a DSLR a Nikon D5100. It is still in the box.

Between time constraints on how much time I can spend on my photography and feeling intimidated by camera modes I still shoot in auto.

I have tried reading books and looking at videos and nothring has helped.

I don't have time to physically attend a photography class.

I was thinking if there was an online instructor lead course with assignments this may be what I need.

I checked out several online clasees that I could find. Most seem to be just videos.

I am not looking for a college course. I am just looking for a course that would last a few weeks.

Anyone know of an online course like I discribed?

Thank you
gloryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:42 AM   #2
Administrator

The D5100 does have an Auto mode you can start out with. ;-)

Nikon has some basic tutorials for it online, too. For example, how to frame your subject so that it's properly focused, etc.

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d5100/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 1:56 PM   #3

The best is hands on IMO. Unless you get it turned on and spend some time, and it really isn't a LOT of time, it will stay in the box. Tutorials are nice, but, not as good as hands on play time with your camera for an hour or so. Just an hour or so playing with it, setting it up, etc. will help you get familiarized with it. Most cameras use similar words or icons so there is carryover from your other camera.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:24 PM   #4

Take it one step at a time. There's nothing wrong with using AUTO mode on a dSLR. And from there you can try P (Program Auto) mode, which works much like AUTO but it remembers your choices from prior sessions. Then maybe you can pick another mode that suits you better.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:52 PM   #5

First off, what do you feel is lacking in the results you get with your current camera? Secondly, I believe that 90% or more of people with DSLRs don't use anything other than auto, ever. Nothing wrong with that: teams of engineers and photographers have designed the cameras to give good results this way, and have had years to refine the systems.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:52 AM   #6

I've been thinking lately that it would be cool if we could start something like that up here.

A sort of on-line camera club . . . not that this isn't one . . . but add a series of challenges (like the bi-weekly challenge), but centered around going through all the really useful foundation stuff like . . . rule-of-thirds . . . aperture priority . . . using external flash . . . etc.

I know I'd take part in it to keep learning.

There are so many knowledgeable and talented photographers here at Steve's that it would be possible.

Anyone else interested in starting something like that up?

I'll volunteer to spend some time working at this, whatever I can help out with . . .

Take care & Happy Shooting!
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryg View Post
Hello,

I am not new to photography. I was very active in photography over twenty years ago.

I got back into photography over the last few years. I went digital 4 years ago.

I currently use a Canon Power Shoot XS 120.

Last December I finally purchased a DSLR a Nikon D5100. It is still in the box.

Between time constraints on how much time I can spend on my photography and feeling intimidated by camera modes I still shoot in auto.

I have tried reading books and looking at videos and nothring has helped.

I don't have time to physically attend a photography class.

I was thinking if there was an online instructor lead course with assignments this may be what I need.

I checked out several online clasees that I could find. Most seem to be just videos.

I am not looking for a college course. I am just looking for a course that would last a few weeks.

Anyone know of an online course like I discribed?

Thank you
New camera still in the box for 9 months
You need a shot of passion, fortitude and courage.
It's not like you will transplanting human organs for the first time
Go for it.
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote