Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 20, 2004, 6:56 PM   #1

Default Replacing a Olympus 2100uz

After three years of very commendable service, our Olympus 2100 has caught the will-not-power-up bug and Olympus is asking $200 to repair. We have used all aspects of the 2100 fully and after looking around at what is available now, we are having trouble finding similar features in one package. what features? 10x opt zoom (+digi ) , excellent focus in most lighting conditions, excellent macro function, image stabilization and easy(AA) battery or at least good power function and generally excellent pictures. We have won photo contests with this camera. Been looking at Nikon 5700, but friend has one and according to him battery is poor, controls complex. Minolta A1 looks good but poor macro function according to some reviewers. Am I asking too much of one camera? fix the 2100? I'd like to go to 4-5 megapix if possible and am interested in working with the RAW format . Maybe fix the 2100 and wait for something to come along.
herbavorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2004, 8:28 PM   #2

Hi Herbavorian...

IT might be worth it to repair.

Ask them if they will give 90 day warranty.

Then buy one of their 2 YEAR C warranties.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 9:08 PM   #3

Oly is rumored to be releasing a stabilized camera, but nothing substantial on that rumor. Panasonic has the 12X stabilized FZ10 that maintains f2.8 throughout the range. It has only standard JPG and no raw. Macro is OK but there is no super macro mode. It is completely menu driven but takes decent pictures. This is a substantial crop from a 12 X shot it took: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=21143 Canon has the S1 stabilized 3Mp 10X zoom camera about to be released. It is quite compact compared to the FZ10. The A1 looks like a great all round camera and the price has come down into the reasonable range. Phil at dpreview thought the macro was pretty good for the zoom range.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 12:30 AM   #4

So it sounds like the FZ10 has a great zoom with a somewhat cumbersome menu driven control system, and the A1 is a good camera but the zoom is not as robust.

For anyone who has tried all three of the cameras below:
My daughter (15) will be using this camera quite a bit. For the optimum combination of image quality- zoom, photo quality and ease of use , what priority order for

Minolta A1, Panasonic FZ 10, Nikon 570

I know that's alot to ask but I have no access to try these out.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 9:43 AM   #5

The FZ10 doesnít have a cumbersome menu system at all. It is very well designed and easy to navigate. It is irritating to me to have to go to the menu for things that should have controls on that sized camera. There are no custom modes on the tiny mode dial and the level of physical controls is about appropriate for an entry level P&S. But the menu itself is very well thought out IMO.

Some people complain that the buttons on the 5700 are too small and hard to learn to use. The A1 is certainly a camera that takes a good deal of time to learn to use well. You are using the FZ10 about as well as it can be used with a reading of the manual and maybe a little experience with white balance if you already understand the basics of photography.

If my daughter were going to be using the camera quite a bit I would get a Pentax 555. The FZ10 is very large and the A1 not much smaller. Even the 5700 is going to be problematic fitting in a purse. Most 15 year old girls donít want to go around all the time with a camera strung around their neck. I have a pocket camera and two more competent large cameras. I get more shots with the small camera because it is always with me. The Pentax 550/555 wasnít available when I bought my C50 or I would have bought the Pentax.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 6:16 PM   #6
Administrator

2/28/04 update - our Powershot 1S IS first look is posted, full review is coming next week as soon as weather allows us to do our typical Florida sunny outdoor shots and such:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 11:13 AM   #7

As Steve just said, he's gonna have that review of the S1 coming up and that's a viable option. We all know he puts so much info in these that we'll feel like we work for Canon by the time it's done. :lol:

I'm going to have to admit though, when I went to Canon's web site and looked at the sample images they had for it (and they usually pick the very best for samples), they didn't impress me that much.

Now granted, I'm PICKY, but when looking over details, I really do think the Oly 2100 does a better job than the new S1 (just my opinion - folks will form their own). I know someone with the Panasonic, and while it does OK, I'd not consider it a replacement for an Oly 2100uz.

$200.00 isn't that bad to repair the Olympus, and it's my understanding from going through the exact same repair, that a 90 day warranty should be added automatically by them. You may wish to consider the repair and just wait a bit. I forgot the model number, but someone had posted where Canon was going to have another "S" camera that will be a top-end model over the S1 down the road, but no specs were given yet and the suggested retail of it was in the $1,000.00 + range, so that might be interesting.

Also take a look at the Minolta A2 when it comes out. Good lens, image stabilization, and 8 megapixels. Rumor has it the macro should be improved over the A1, too.

Good luck.

atlantagreg
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 10:22 PM   #8

I am leaning toward getting the 2100 fixed. The other options are enticing, but none of them put it all together in quite the same functionally competent package.
I do not work for Olympus, because if I did there would be a 4mp 4100 camera that left nearly everything the same and upgraded and tweaked the 2100!!

Thanks for all the help.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 10:10 PM   #9

The Uzi is a great camera. Look carefully at the price of having it fixed vs buying a refurb. You'll always be able to find a buyer for it.

Newer cameras emphasize megapixels, but you and I know that lenses are more important. I own a Canon Pro90 with that same great 10X stabilized zoom and have yet not found a need to replace it. When the time comes, it'll probably be a DSLR..
Bob_Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote