Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 22, 2004, 1:09 PM   #1

Default Printing options help.....

I use Photoshop Elements 2.0 with my iMac. I put three 4x6 photos on a 8 1/2 X 11 document. What orientation should I pick to print? Any print seetings would be appreciated. This would be the first time I printing three photos on a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. :?:
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2004, 2:52 PM   #2

I routinely do three-up 4 x 6 (or two 4 x 6 and one 5 x 7) printing. I leave the printer in 'portrait' orientation. I rotate two of the 4 X 6 pix to fit across the top and the third is left in normal orientation.

My guess is that it doesn't matter, since 90 degree rotation is [supposed to be] lossless whether it is done in the image editor or in the printer driver. Although I have to admit to not experimenting with printing in 'landscape' orientation to make a comparison.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 3:22 PM   #3

I prefer 4 X 5.33 for a 4:3 image, but would print 4 X 6 from the Rebel. I would probably do 5 X 7 since they look nicer and you can get 2 to a page unless you have a photo album that only holds 4 X 6. I print mostly 5 X 7 or larger.

My printer prints borderless so I put them in the corners so there are only 2 sides to trim. I agree with jawz that it doesnít make any difference as long as you are sure you are using loseless rotation. I think you have to put 2 vertical and 1 horizontal to get three 4 X 6s on a sheet. With four 4 X 5.33s they all have to go vertical. Two 5 X 7s go horizontally.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 5:00 PM   #4

My printer doesn't do boarderless, so to minimize the cuts in this situation, I place the two vertical prints abutting each other and the horizontal one abutting the bottom of the two vertical ones and edge aligned to one of the sides. Abutting the prints isn't a problem because I use a Rotatrim, so I can get very precise cuts.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 5:06 PM   #5

I just have a standard trimmer so cutting two abutted prints without getting a sliver of one on the other is a problem. I shine a bright light from under the trimmer so I can see exactly where the cutter is positioned, but it is still a problem with abutted images. Iíve been looking at a Rotatrim for large prints. I currently use a straight edge and Xacto.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote