Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 23, 2004, 4:00 PM   #1

Default Shooting Weddings

Hello folks,
I'm currently taking my first photography class at a local Community College here in Greensboro, NC. In the future I would like to make some extra money shooting Weddings. I will appreciate any advice from any of the professionals out there. I'm thinking of starting up with a Digital Rebel and a 420ex flash. Also, can you recommend a good learning video to shoot Weddings? Any help will be appreciated!

Regards
Carlos
carlos74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2004, 5:50 PM   #2

I am normally not rude, but I'm getting tired of the exact question that you asked.

Please use the search functionality of this web site and find the many postings I've made on this exact topic. I'll even save you some trouble and post some of threads you should read.

Shooting weddings is about the hardest thing you can do in photography. For example, read this thread:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...friend+wedding

And when you've read that entire thread (please, read it!) Read this thread:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...hlight=wedding

And when you've read that entire thread (please, read it!) Read this thread:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...hlight=wedding

I spend a lot of time writing up those posts and I really don't want to waste my time doing it again.

I would not recommend doing what you are planning on doing, but you'll see why fairly clearly in the long answers I put into those other posts.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 5:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
I am normally not rude, but I'm getting tired of the exact question that you asked.
That's why I took dear old Mom's advice... if you can't say anything nice... don't say anything...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 8:44 PM   #4

I guess the thing to remember is that when you photograph a wedding is that you'd better be right. Except in Hollywood, the photos are a once in a life thing.

Might consider being a backup shooter the first couple of times.
Bob_Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 10:05 PM   #5
hst

Default Try working for another photographer

I have been asked to do some wedding photos and I have always steered clear. If you mess them up, people can get quite nasty and you could even be liable for missing those once in a lifetime photos. If your really serious about it, you probably need to work with a pro in your area. Go along with them and learn the trade before stepping in on your own. That will give you some time to learn your camera and the photographer may have some good advice on what camera to get.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:32 PM   #6

Mr_Saginaw

I usually try not to be rude, but there are times when it's appropriate to be. Messing up a wedding shoot is about the worst thing you can do as a photographer. I think that deserves a little bluntness.

And really... I think I held back fairly well. Read it again, I don't think I was rude. Just a bit annoyed. Really, on some of those posts (including the searching for reference links) I spend over an hour writing them. I don't want to do it again (and I think I wrote it well the first time. )

Eric
Old Feb 24, 2004, 12:21 AM   #7

I'll tell you what, when I got my 300D I thought about possibly, eventually, just maybe considered for two, not three mind you but two seconds about shooting a wedding and then I read one of Eric's post and I can't even take my camera to church yet.

Nope, not even close, not even as a back up to the disposable cardboard cameras they leave around for the guest to tinker with. You will have a new appreciation for weddings if you take the time to read just one of his post.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 5:20 AM   #8

Eric,

Oops! Sorry for the miscommunication! I didn't mean to imply YOU were rude... I meant you showed more restraint than I would have... I was about to go on rant and it was all I could do from blasting OP... You did a great job though and were very polite about it!

Again, I apologize....

john
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:08 AM   #9

Mr_Saginaw
Gotcha. No problem, really. Now that you say it, it makes sense that you are refering to yourself.

I've read your advice before and it's good, so don't hold back that much...

PKchopper

I didn't realize that I was that scary.

hst has a good idea. If you are really, really determined to try to do some weddings, first follow a pro around. Help them and learn. There is a huge amount to learn, only about 1/2 is the actual photography. But, personally, I wouldn't do it. The chance of screwing up and causing several people huge amounts of frustration and pain... and generally making them mad at me. Doesn't seem worth it.

Instead, offer to teach a weekend photography class. Not as much money but the downside is much, much less.

Eric
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:24 AM   #10

Thanks so much for the comments. Next time I'll do a search, sorry!!!
:shock:
Gracias
Carlos
carlos74 is offline   Reply With Quote