Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 25, 2004, 8:44 AM   #1

Default Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC33 or Minolta Xt?

Hi,

I'm all new to digital photographing and actually thinking about buying my first digicam. After reading lots of articles, data sheets and so on, I'm trying to decide between the Lumix LC33 or the Minolta Xt. They are about the same consumer price here in Germany.

My pros and cons for Minolta:
+ small size
+ rechargable battery included
+ can be used as webcam
+ color depth
+ better aperture size
- no macro
- no programs
- no manual focus

My pros and cons for Panasonic:
+ programs
+ macro
+ manual focus possible
+ can be powered by normal batteries
+ better shutter time
- no rechargeable battery included

Which one would you suggest and why? And, by the way, which has the better photo quality? I think the Minolta, due to better aperture size, i. e. under difficult light, it will work better than the Panasonic. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Trollpatsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2004, 9:38 AM   #2

Of the two you listed I would get the Pentax S4. About $275 delivered right now with the rebate. It is lighter and smaller than the Xt and has more features than either.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:37 AM   #3

That was no answer to my question. *g* The Pentax S4 is about EUR 100,00 more expensive anyway - money I don't wanna spend.
Trollpatsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 1:36 PM   #4

Sorry Ďbout that Ė you did say you were in Germany although you donít seem to want to put it in your profile. The S4 is a better buy than the Xt over here.

Panasonic:
10FPS movies are really jerky if you are interested in those.
8 ounces compared to 4 for the Xt.
8 seconds compared to 4 for the Xt, but it doesnít list long exposure noise reduction so noise might be pretty high at 8 seconds.
Have to buy charger and NiMH batteries but spares are cheap.
Nice burst mode.

XtĒ
Has a custom setting although that is limited in a P&S.
Can carry in shirt pocket.
Long shutter lag unless you pre-focus.
Long exposure noise reduction.
Donít have to buy a battery and charger, but you have to be careful with LCD use.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/XT/XTDATA.HTM

I donít tend to use the program modes but you seem to have a preference for them. The Xt does list a night scene mode so they may be buried in there somewhere.

They are both capable of F2.8 at wide. Not sure what the Panasonic specs are saying but it appears the Xt may be faster at the tele setting. If you look under the FZ10 for aperture on the Panasonic site it says f2.8 throughout the range and doesnít give a minimum, so I guess 4.8 is the fastest f stop at full zoom. The xT has a faster lens if that is the case.

My FZ10 didnít list long exposure noise reduction but it seems to have it. It isnít listed for the LC33 so I have no guess whether it might be a hidden feature. You can get most night shots at 4 seconds and noise might not be that bad.

If you think you might carry the Xt more because of shape and weight that is an advantage to consider. I like having a camera I can carry everywhere.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote