Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 29, 2004, 1:04 PM   #1
Koz

Default Tough Choice: Olympus C740 or Panasonic FZ1

Help me decide, please!

Would you go for the C740 or FZ1? I've been reading review after review for the past month and have come to a complete standstill. Both cameras offer what I want, and both have an upper edge over the other. I need a powerful zoom (stabilized if possible), hence the FZ1 edges over the C740 in that respect, but then again some manual functionality to experiment with would be welcome, so the C740 now evens itself up with the FZ1. The image quality of the FZ1 is slightly better, according to reviews, but the C740 has better night-time capabilities (which I'll use now and then for distant skyline/city shots). The C740 also has more megapixels to allow for better cropping, but the FZ1 can zoom in slightly further on a subject and make cropping unnessary.

I know a great deal of you are experts with digital photography so I thought I'd ask you to make up my mind for me. Perhaps there's even another model you'd recommend over both of them (but in the same ~$300 price range)?
Koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 29, 2004, 2:56 PM   #2

I recently purchased the Toshiba PDR - M700. I bought it aware of some of the "issues" it's supposed to have but found from reading alot of reviews/posts etc to be the best camera for the money I wanted to spend. One of those "issues" is problems focusing in low light situations....solved via the 1.10 firmware upgrade (adds the ability of fully manual focus in aauto or manual modes). I recently took out the camera for some night shots and was pleasantly surprised how well the images turned out compared to my expectations from reviews.

I haven't used the other cameras you are looking at but did eliminate them as possible choices in my own search. I am quite happy with the Toshiba. Like every camera it has issues but nothing yet that I couldn't work around.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 7:03 AM   #3

If I were you I would consider the FZ2. More manual settings then the FZ1.
I'm quite happy with the FZ2.
have a look at my site
http://arnoudsfotos.ontheweb.nl
If your budget permits, have a look at the FZ10 with full manual control.
arnoud venema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 8:39 PM   #4

I'm a proud FZ1 owner and it is an incredible camera even without the manual functions. The IS is the real-deal. It's auto settings are right on the money. In addition it can now be bought for under $300 US
gwesto01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 12:14 AM   #5
Kay

Koz, Interesting that you should ask...I JUST today started using my Olympus C-740. Having never before operated a digital camera, I probably shouldn't be advising, but I too did my homework here on this site. For the money, I am SO pleased with my camera. (If I had boughten at our local Best Buy, it would have cost me $399. But by buying over one of the sites here at Steve's listings, I got the camera and a FREE 128 memory card for $350. I love the optical zoom, and am completely satisfied with the 3.2 megapixals. As for the other models mentioned, others have given you their choices, but I must say my camera is everything I wanted for a beginner with big plans.

Kay
Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 6:27 AM   #6
St

Koz, I was trying to make a similar choice a couple of weeks ago.
I had shortlisted the C740 and Fuji S5000. I then made my mind up to get the C740, however, I was shown an FZ2 in the shop and was able to compare it side by side with a C740. The FZ2 was basically in a different league with regards to looks and build quality - The Leica zoom lens powers up virtually silently and zooms in-out with no lag. The C740 whirrs and grinds it's lens out and had terrible lag when you tried to change the zoom setting. The choice easy - I bought the FZ2, no regrets, Its brilliant.
However, I would point out that the veiwfinder on the C740 is significantly bigger and brighter. Also, you are considering an FZ1 which does not have SP/AP exposure modes like an FZ2, so that might swing it to the C740 for you. The point I am making is that I had made my mide up on paper, but when I actually held the cameras in my hands I was able to make a proper choice - I think you should do the same.
St is offline   Reply With Quote