Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 1, 2004, 1:10 PM   #1

Default Minolta Z2 or Kodak DX6490

I'm in the market for a new DC and the zoom features of these two cameras interest me. Looks like price will be about the same and they both use SD Media (a plus as I have that built into my laptop). Anyone have a recommendation between the two? Thanks.
SnapPic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2004, 5:48 PM   #2

I have used my sister's 6490 and the camera takes very good features. The biggest drawback of this camera is it has very little manual controls. If you want a point and shoot camera it should server you well.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 9:32 AM   #3

Thanks Phil. I'm thinking manual control would be a good thing. I'm leaning towards the Z2. Thanks again.
SnapPic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 9:51 AM   #4

The 6490 has aperture and shutter priority plus manual with a 15 second manual shutter. Unless they added manual focus to the Z2 I’m not sure what is missing here. Perhaps Phil could define “point and shoot” as it applies to the 6490.

The 6490 has a great 2.2 inch LCD and comes with a docking cradle. It also has a powerful flash for a built in. Not crazy about the high JPG compression. Otherwise a nice camera.

They put that same postage stamp LCD on the Z2 – can’t claim Konica Minolta is a slave to trends. It isn’t that big a deal with an EVF and I think I would still take the Z2.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:25 AM   #5

They did add manual focus to the Z2

Item for item the Z2 looks as good or better than the 6490, the only exception is the big display on the back of the 6490. Biggies that the Z2 wins on are (IMHO):

Standard Batteries
Fast 10fps mode (@1280x960)
15fps 800x600 movie mode (no limit)
30fps 640x480 movie mode (no limit)
Flash sync at all speeds
60fps display
Histogram
.3 second focus and .06 shutter delay

6480 wins on the following:
Big display
No preflash (I use studio lights and sync to the camera flash so this is important to me.)

--------------------
It looks like Minolta looked at the 6480 and took 6 months to improve it. The only missing feature in my mind is a RAW mode.

If my 6490 went belly up I would probably consider the Z2 as a replacement. But I would wait for some real reviews and watch for the following things:

1) Lense performance. Making a 10x range zoom is tricky, Olympus didn't do it as well as Kodak and you need to make sure the purple fringing isn't too bad on this one.

2) Colors. The Kodak is amazing in this regard every shot is really great looking.

3) Auto focus lock. Minolta firmware on the A1 has been criticized because it can get faked and go traking when you are trying to hold focus.

Although the list price of the Kodak and Minolta are the same the Kodak has been out for 6months now so it is being discounted (I saw one in a local store for $399 the other day). The Minolta will not get discounted for a few months after release.

BTW I have shot over 7800 pictures with the 6490 (over 1200 per month :shock: ) and the camera is great. You won't be disappointed with it if you go that way.

I probably will upgrade to an 8mp camera next.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:30 PM   #6

Manual focus is a big plus. And I don’t understand why any new camera doesn’t have the 640 X 480 movies at 30fps with memory cheap now.

Predictive focus can be turned off I think. If it has the same feature as my D7i where it shows in the EVF exactly what the camera is focused on I don’t see where it would be that much of a problem anyway.

You failed to mention the extra Mp on the HP. That becomes significant if you ever buy a wide format printer. Even 8.5 X 11 looks better at 4Mp if you have to do any cropping.

ECost has the 6490 for $379 and free shipping. Before I paid the pre-release price for the Z2 I would get a Panasonic FZ10. The 12X stabilized lens is spectacular. It has a nice manual focus ring along with the manual exposure modes and real time histogram. Doesn’t do the great movies though and no raw. It has a continuous focus mode that I think I would prefer to the predictive focus on the Z2 unless you can downgrade to straight continuous focus on the Z2. Stabilization adds a whole new world of available light photography. I won’t buy another large camera without it now that I have used the FZ10. 12X stabilized at f2.8 throughout the range in a 4Mp camera is worth the extra $50 IMO. The FZ10 is light for its size but is quite a bit bulkier than the Z2 though.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 2:40 PM   #7

There is a question of the flip up system for the E.V. on the Minolta. Several sites have reservations on its strength. Also, if you read more reviews on the Z1, you find it has a serious problem with purple fringing in low light. Finally, several people have mentioned the noise from the autofocus being audible when they use the movie feature. Instead. look at the new Canon S1 IS. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 3:44 PM   #8

I'd like to thank Slipe, Castledude, and The Doctor for adding to this discussion. I appreciate the feedback. I have not owned a digital camera and I don't want to make a purchase I'll regret.

What is the purple fringe in low light issue?

Thanks.

Old Mar 2, 2004, 4:42 PM   #9

Try this review.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/mi...ew/index.shtml
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote