Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 1, 2004, 2:13 PM   #1

Default Is A70 Worth Spending An Extra $100 On Over The HP 735???

I've never owned a digital camera before and would like to get a good all-round camera for everyday stuff or vacation's and what not. I was going to get the HP 735 because I need a new printer too and if I get a new HP printer and HP camera then I get a $75 rebate from HP. I can still get a $50 dollar rebate if I get the Canon A70 and A HP printer. My question is how much better is the A70 over the HP 735 camera? I had my mind made up that I was going to get the HP, but I keep hearing such good things about the A70 and several negatives about the HP. I want to be able to take fairly good indoor/low light pics and I've heard some complaints on the HP in this area and good things about the A70. Please post all your opinions because I'm looking to buy one or the other within a week or two. Thanks

Jake
jkulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2004, 2:58 PM   #2

I guess you can get by with just aperture priority, but I prefer having a manual mode. Without a lock or panorama mode you would have a tough time taking panoramas. 1/3 second isnít very good if you want to do night photography. I do like having a B&W status panel on a camera with an optical viewfinder so you donít always have to refer to the LCD, which can be difficult sometimes in bright sunlight. And the low light focus on the 735 is reported to be good.

The A70 has all of the modes you might use including manual and panorama assist. It will take night shots up to 15 seconds. It takes less expensive CF cards and is an overall better camera IMO despite not having a status window. It also takes 640 X 480 sound movies, which are a better than the 320 X 240 movies on the HP. The A70 is a little smaller but probably about the same weight with 4 NiMH batteries instead of 2. Steve has specifically recommended the A70 on threads by people looking for a camera in that class. It seems to do everything well.

If you just want a snapshot camera the 735 is probably a good value. It seems to take nice pictures.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 3:47 PM   #3

So it sounds like the A70 can do more stuff than the HP 735 and it does everything better. Do you know if the A70 or the HP can take black and white and Sepia shots? Or do you have to use the software to do this? Thanks

Jake
jkulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 4:22 PM   #4

If features are important you should take the time to read some reviews. Steveís reviews show that both the HP and A70 do B&W and sepia. I wouldnít take peopleís word on a discussion forum when there are good reviews done by people who know what they are doing.

I would never shoot anything but color. Software does just as good a job converting them, but if you donít shoot in color you can never get it back.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 5:30 AM   #5

My friend has a Canon PowerShot A70, and she's had to send it back to the manufacturer once, because of a problem with the zoom lens not extending. Also she seems to get corrupt compact flash cards from time to time. I take many times more photos than she does with my Kodak Easyshare cam and have never had a corrupt CF card.
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote