Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:17 PM   #1

Default Which one should I purchase?:Canon A80/S45/S50 - Fuji S5000

Hi, I would like to purchase a digital camera. I first liked Canon A40, then I was interested in Canon A60, then A70. Now I am really decided to buy:I like Canon A80, because of its automatic and manual features. But I was told that Canon S45 is better, although both are 4 mp cameras.
Then I saw Fuji S5000 and the price is similar to the other two, but this one looks like a "professional" camera... I don't want to be fooled by the size or the "look" of a camera... So I really don't know what to do.
Finally, if I decided to buy Canon S45, would it be worth the money diference to get a S50 (5 mp)?
:?: I WOULD LIKE YOUR OPINION AND HELP TO DECIDE WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:33 PM   #2

Do you really need the 10X zoom of the Fuji S5000? What types of pictures will you be shooting? What size of prints will you want to print?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 3:33 PM   #3

I really do not need that kind of zoom, it just has a "more professional look". If fact, thatīs why I do not want to be fooled by the "aspect" of the camera, but concentrate into the features. Ok, so let's get the Fuji out of the question.
I want a good camera, with automatic features, but also would like manual features to play with.
I like 13x18 (cm., not inches) pictures, maybe I can get bigger copies. I think 4 mp. is enough for that, but I like the features of the camera apart from the resolution. So then, the thing is between the Powershot A80, S45/S50 and do you know S410/S500 ?
leyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 4:40 PM   #4

I have used the Fuji S5000 and it produces very good quality photos. The extra zoom comes in very handy. Of the Canon cameras, I would lean more to the A80.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 5:29 PM   #5

First decide whether you want to carry it in your pocket. If you donít the A80 is probably a better choice. I donít know where you heard that the S45 is a better camera, but I donít think that is true. The S45 is a little faster on shutter lag. Steve has the A80 on his list of the best of 2003 and Imaging Resource has the A80 as a Daveís pick. Neither list the S45. I wouldnít go completely by that, but neither Steve nor Dave list dogs in their picks.

Iím a big fan of having a camera I can always have with me. You can get a lot more pictures with the camera that you have with you than the great one sitting at home.

You might also look at the Minolta G500/Konica 510. In the US it is very reasonably priced. It has all of the manual exposure modes and even a zone manual focus. SD cards have come down a lot in price lately but they are still a little more than CF.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote