Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:53 PM   #1

Default I need advice, sales people have me confused.

:roll: Opinions needed, I am looking at a few cameras, the Fuji S7000, The Minolta A1, and the Sony f828. I want a camera that takes great pictures that I can use for everything, I don't have much experience other than my old digital camera that blurred every image if the subject was moving, or the auto exposure was two dark. Sales people want to sell me something, anything, not what I need :shock: . I need help, or maybe I'm looking at the wrong cameras all together, please help.
steveb1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2004, 9:40 PM   #2

Have you read the reviews at:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

of those cameras? The A1 and the f828 have similar zoom ranges (maybe the same lens? I don't know, something has the same lens as the 828) the S7000 has a slightly longer range, but not as wide angle.

"I can use for everything" isn't much help. No camera can do everything. We will need examples of what you will use it for to better help you.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 10:08 PM   #3

The A1 has a f2.8 Ė3.5 Minolta lens and the 828 has a Zeiss F2-2.8 lens. The 828 is a much larger camera, I think in part due to the faster lens. The A1 makes up for that with stabilization. The 828 is better for action in available light and the A1 will shoot in lower light without a tripod if the subject isnít moving. The new A2 is closer to the 828. Same lens as the A1 with 8Mp and a much better EVF. I would wait for some good reviews though.

I like having a camera I can put in my pocket and carry everywhere. I also like having a big camera with stabilization. I wonít buy another large camera without the stabilization now that Iíve used it on the FZ10. So for myself, the all round camera of the ones you listed would be the A1. The A2 is going to be pricey for a while until the first kids on the block all have theirs. The 828 has some nice features but it is really big and heavy. Phil at dpreview didnít like it at all.

I do like the 28mm wide-angle capability on my D7i. It lets you get about half as much again in the scene compared to a 38mm wide. But you usually have to give up some telephoto range to get it.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 11:37 PM   #4

Default Reply to Eric S and Slipe

I appreciate your replies, what I mean "for everything" is from family gatherings, to kids sporting events, plays, and vacations. My older camera could get the range in the sporting events but not the action, it was blurred, when in low light it blurred as well. I don't care about the size or bulk if the camera can do what I want it to do. I'm not doing anything proffesional. I read the reviews for so many cameras and they all have good and bad, but these cameras I selcted were all recommended, I just want what would be best for me, especially user friendly. I'm judging from the replies that the A1 would be a better choice?
Old Mar 5, 2004, 12:03 AM   #5

Having image stabilization on several lenses, I can certainly appreciate how it helps out when hand-holding. It won't help for action shots, though. The only thing that helps that is more light; either a larger aperture (lower f-stop number) or a flash.

I've heard there are purple fringing problems with the 828, but it doesn't happen in all situations. So I don't know if it would be a problem for you or not.

I would also recommned you go and check out the cameras in person. Make sure it fits you hands, has a control layout that makes sense and works for you.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 12:18 AM   #6

Quote:
I just want what would be best for me, especially user friendly. I'm judging from the replies that the A1 would be a better choice?
The better choice for me Ė not necessarily for you. Stabilization lets you shoot in limited light and still get sharp images. But it doesnít do anything to help with blur that occurs from your subject moving. A camera like the Sony 828 or Canon G5 will let you take shots better in available light with subject movement because of their faster lenses. Although they arenít that much faster at telephoto settings. A good choice to consider might be the Sony 717. It looks like a ray gun, but it is faster (f2.4) at telephoto and got very good reviews. It also has the best low light focus for objects within about 8 feet of any camera other than a few other upscale Sonys that have the same laser holographic focus feature.

I would rather have the stabilized lens because it gives better shots in more situations I would find myself in. But if you shoot a lot of kidís soccer games in limited light you might not be thrilled. Everything would probably be tack sharp except the kids.

They are all user friendly. If you shoot in program mode at the default settings you will get generally nice photos. But all of the cameras you listed let you use advanced exposure and focus modes that you can grow into if you want to. Digital is a great learning tool if you have the right camera. The A1 has the most imposing manual controls of the group, but you donít have to use them. You do have to flip the flash open on the A1 if you want to use it. I prefer that to always having to make sure the flash is completely off if I donít want to use it, but some people prefer everything to be automatic. You would really like the wide angle capability of the A1 for getting scenes and interiors.

If you want to take movies with your camera the Fuji S7000 makes very nice large movies at a good frame rate. Other than that I would get a Pentax 555 before the Fuji. It has almost the same zoom range and will fit in your pocket. I also like the pictures it takes a little better. The flash isnít as powerful as the Fuji though. Neither have a fast lens or stabilization.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 2:50 PM   #7

Default ideas appreciated

I appreciate all of the comments. I never considered the f717, I'll check it out. any other ideas would be appreciated. Thank You