Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:18 PM   #1

Default sandbag recommendation - how heavy do I need?

I have a Flashpoint Rovelight 600 monolight. I would like to take it to the beach for engagement photos and wedding photos.
The only problem is that it is a little bit top heavy. The battery is in the head unit itself.
I would like to use the light on a manfrotto light stand and a medium size softbox.

I am just wondering what size of sandbag do I need? What is your recommendation? We often shoot engagement sessions ans wedding portrait sessions on the beach. Wind is an issue.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:48 AM   #2
conor

I don't have any specific advice, but I have a general opinion.
Growing up in the Red River valley, sandbagging wasn't an uncommon activity in the spring.

A sandbag for these purposes weighs about 50 pounds, if you were to put one on each leg, I highly doubt it'd blow over.
I've used large (volleyball sized) rocks to hold my umbrella stands stable on a breezy day (not so heavy but they are sails).

It's my opinion that if you had 3 sandbags, each 12" wide, 5" thick and 14" long, you'd be able to stabilize nearly any light stand (at 100 pounds per cubic foot, each bag sized as described would weigh 50 pounds)

I'd find a few seed bags (like those for bulk grass seed), hit a landscaping company for a few pails of sand, and put half a cubic foot in each of them. Tie them up, leaving plenty of space inside so the resulting bags are flexible and can hang over the legs of your light stand. The whole thing shouldn't cost you more than $5.

This is actually something I need to do as soon as possible, I've already nearly destroyed an umbrella from having the stand blow over so many times on a shoot this past July (before I found some rocks)
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:14 PM   #3

This is where a couple of my hobbies work so well together. I like using bags of lead shot (birdshot, mostly). They come in 25lb heavy duty canvas bags, fairly inexpensive, and can be combined in various combinations. Smaller package than sand, and tend to be cleaner for hauling around in a car or van. I've had my wife sew up a couple custom pouches to let me drape the bags over something to hold down.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:52 PM   #4
conor

VT, that's very a good idea. Shall I assume you're a sport shooter / hunter / reloader?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:39 PM   #5

Less so now than previously. Health issues keep getting in the way of things I'd like to do.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote