Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:51 PM   #1

Default I need professional help...

Besides mentally (lol) I'm looking for a teacher on long island to teach me my bridge camera (Sony DSC hx200). I take it out get results I'm not happy with and put it back in the case. I've made a commitment (no not the sanatorium) to really learn this camera and would like for someone to recommend a teacher who has patience. I'm going to Alaska this summer and would like some really good landscape/wildlife photos. I also have to learn how to take good photos through glass since I will be on both a float plane and a helicopter. I've looked into continuing ed but their times just don't jive and I really want a one on one to teach me all the ins and outs of this hardware. Thanks in advance.
bucky0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2016, 7:59 PM   #2

Let's start small. Can you post some of the photos you've gotten that you're not happy with?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2016, 8:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky0926 View Post
Besides mentally (lol) I'm looking for a teacher on long island to teach me my bridge camera (Sony DSC hx200). I take it out get results I'm not happy with and put it back in the case. I've made a commitment (no not the sanatorium) to really learn this camera and would like for someone to recommend a teacher who has patience. I'm going to Alaska this summer and would like some really good landscape/wildlife photos. I also have to learn how to take good photos through glass since I will be on both a float plane and a helicopter. I've looked into continuing ed but their times just don't jive and I really want a one on one to teach me all the ins and outs of this hardware. Thanks in advance.
It's been a long, long time since I lived on Long Island, but the locals would leave messages on the bulletin boards at the USMMA and other colleges asking for help or instruction. I think they just called in or had someone post the request.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:19 PM   #4

Just a small point on taking photos through glass: Don't.
If you have no way around it, though, you may get acceptable results using a polarizing filter.
If you purchased your camera from a local camera store, (do they still exist?) you may be able to get some instruction there. Maybe even if you just load up on accessories from them.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
If you have no way around it, though, you may get acceptable results using a polarizing filter.
If you purchased your camera from a local camera store, (do they still exist?) you may be able to get some instruction there. Maybe even if you just load up on accessories from them.
I really want to try to get some photos while up in the air. I don't think I can add a filter to my camera as it has no lens thread. I did a little research and my camera has a ND filter setting. It can be auto, off, or on. I noticed that when it is on the picture is a littler darker ( I did not shoot through glass-just turned it on). I am going to assume that when in the plane and helicopter I should have it on? Thanks for your help.

Everytime I take out this camera and mess with the settings I find that it has something new (well new to me at least). I want to try and not shoot just in auto or superior auto.

Last edited by bucky0926; Mar 2, 2016 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Needed to add info
bucky0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
I have to disagree. 99% of my wildlife images are through double-pane glass. I find VERY little to NO discernible difference. These are from today. Have a look:

Yeah... I'm the male. See?

Now, having said that, automotive/aircraft glass may provide some distortion due to some bends or curvature. YMMV
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Mar 2, 2016 at 1:44 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:38 PM   #7

Bucky is not going to have any control over the cleanliness or clarity of the aircraft 'glass', which is plexiglas or polycarbonate (Lexan). I have yet to see any of this material, except when first installed, that doesn't have at least a lot of very fine scratches.
The best way to shoot from aircraft is through an open window.
Bucky;
The ND filter (stands for neutral density) just makes things darker. To control glare if you have to shoot through glass, you should have a polarizer. Without lens threads, I would make up an adapter which would friction fit over my camera's lens.
If you absolutely have to shoot through windows, have your camera's lens as close to the window as you can get without the lens touching, an use something as a hood to keep out extraneous light. Your best results will be when the window you're shooting through is not in sunlight.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote