Old Mar 9, 2004, 8:05 PM   #1

Default RAW OUTPUT

I NEEE SOME INFORMATION ON WHAT RAW OUTPUT IS & ITS BENEFITS

THANKS
LOU
PAISANO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2004, 8:18 PM   #2

RAW is simply a digital negative that is not changed by the camera's parameters (i.e. no added sharpening, color saturation, or other enhancements). The benefits are that you are in complete control of those elements during post processing rather than letting the camera blindly assign some arbitrary saturation and sharpening level. The drawback is that you have to process the RAW data to either TIFF or JPG format prior to printing or posting. This requires a bit of time for each photo (not that much). Processing includes exposure adjustments, saturation adjustments, white balance/color cast adustments, and sharpening adjustments as desired.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 9:26 PM   #3

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I THOGHT IT WAS AN ACRONYM.

WHEN I NORMALLY SHOOT WITH MY OLY FZ10 AM GETTING RAW DATA. HOW WOULD IT NOT BE RAW DATA?

LOU
I HOPE I WILL HAVE YOUR INDULGENCE FOR ONE MORE QUESTION AFTER THIS I'M GETTING INTO EDITING SO ALL THIS SEEMS IMPORTANT TO KNOW

THANKS
LOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry
RAW is simply a digital negative that is not changed by the camera's parameters (i.e. no added sharpening, color saturation, or other enhancements). The benefits are that you are in complete control of those elements during post processing rather than letting the camera blindly assign some arbitrary saturation and sharpening level. The drawback is that you have to process the RAW data to either TIFF or JPG format prior to printing or posting. This requires a bit of time for each photo (not that much). Processing includes exposure adjustments, saturation adjustments, white balance/color cast adustments, and sharpening adjustments as desired.
PAISANO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:12 PM   #4

When you download your pictures to your hard disk, what format are the files? .jpg? .tif?

Most digital cameras (unless you choose to save in RAW format) produce JPG's, perhaps TIFF. The camera will adjust the output to make the colors more saturated and the images sharper. Many cameras allow you to adjust these parameters to suit your likes. Many just assume that you will like what they put out. The cheaper the camera, the more color saturation and sharpness the camera will produce because most people that are using point and shoot cameras just want a good snapshot without addition manipulations required. Take the picture, hook it up to the docking station/printer and print out 20 4X6 glossies.

I'm not familiar with the OLY. Perhaps someone else will chime in with more information. Even if your output is JPG format, you can still edit it with a picture editing program.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote