Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 24, 2002, 10:41 PM   #1

Default Advice on lens construction.

I am buying my first digital camera.
I when to a video/camers store and really like the Sony line.
I war wonder though.
The was a Sony with the Zeiss lens,I think that is the type,the salesman said was a really good lens compared to the other lenses.
I really want to take good picture and am going to spend up to $500.00.
Does the lens really make a difference in quality.
And if not what camera do you like in this price range that takes the most detailed pic. with an optical zoom.
Thanks
Brad
BradBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2002, 1:58 PM   #2

Zeiss makes terrific lenses but don't think for a minute that optics are some kind of mystic secret that only they know about. Keep in mind Zeiss' reputation is based on its extremely expensive lenses for Hassleblad medium format and Contax 35mm film cameras. Smaller scale lenses for camcorders and digicams can't be directly compared to those lenses. Read the reviews and judge actual images for yourself rather than listenening to a salesman's hype.

I think Sony makes fine mass market consumer goods but I have a few beefs with their cameras, the expensive proprietary batteries and proprietary memory sticks that are limited to 128mb. These aren't problems for casual photographers but if you intend to be serious about photography and shoot a lot I suggest you get a camera that uses standard AA MiMH batteries and compact flash memory.

As for specifics that requires you to answer a few more questions. How much detail do you want? Will your images be displayed on a screen or will you be making 11x14 prints on a regular basis?
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2002, 7:58 PM   #3

Sorry about the last line.I think that was way to general.
I will be taking family photos. Mostly indoors.
I have kids.
Allot of school function stuff.
Not real artsy stuff.
Thanks for you help.
BradBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:00 AM   #4

I doubt if you'll find any bad lenses in consumer digicams so don't get hung up on things like Zeiss' reputation and sales hype.

I'll stay general as I don't own the cam I think you should get. I'd get at least a 3mp camera. You'll be able to make nice 8x10s and still have a little room to crop without degrading the print. Get something with at least a 3x optical zoom. Digital zoom is just hype and only works by degrading the image or making it smaller.

There are lots of good cams out there but I'd steer you toward one that can take an external flash. As you learn photography you'll find this can make a dramtic difference over an internal flash. I've got some friends with some Olympus models that work well and have the advantage of taking generic AA NiMH batteries.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote