Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 12, 2004, 5:46 AM   #1
SG1

Default white pupil problem

I'm a newbie, and I heard of red-eye, but I have white eye problems. How do you get rid of that.
SG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2004, 7:01 PM   #2

I've had a similar experience where the 'red' eye was actually a sort of green. The canned 'remove red-eye' feature on my software didn't do anything.
Effen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 8:27 PM   #3

Quote:
How do you get rid of that (white eye)?
Post-production (aka digital darkroom). I used Paintshop Pro 5.0 on this one, but any photo editing program should have a paintbrush or spray can, etc. that with a bit of practice gives the same result. If you're going to be doing much photo editing, a graphics tablet is a welcome addition as well.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 9:02 PM   #4

I find I do better just blowing up an eye until it fills the whole screen and using the airbrush tool. I sample a black (pure black sometimes looks artificial) and fill in the pupil. I try to sample the iris color for the iris. If I canít I invent it, but you have to be subtle. I try to take a sample from the eye of a white also so it doesnít look artificial. It is really quite a bit faster than explaining it. Maybe a minute per eye after you have done it a few times. If you notice the eyes after you do it you overdid the corrections.

Young children often look like something from Poltergeist with a built-in flash. That can be more of a challenge as there isnít much to sample from the iris. Iíve never gotten pure white eyes, but I would just put in some pupil and my best guess for the iris. Make sure to get the flash reflection back in the pupil Ė it is almost always there and looks strange without it.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 12:18 AM   #5

Quote:
it is almost always there and looks strange without it
Thanks--I meant to mention that but forgot. Yes, eye highlights are a small but crucial feature. People looking a photograph without them will automatically know that something is strange, even if they can't pinpoint what the problem is.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 8:13 AM   #6
SG1

Default Thanks for the help

I'm going to blow the eyes up and airbrush the pupils. I don't know why I did'nt think of that ops: Thanks again guys.
SG1 is offline   Reply With Quote