Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 12, 2004, 5:34 AM   #1

Default Boo to A2

I've had my A2 for a week now and did not like it at all. As a matter of fact, it was just sent back yesterday. The photos are too soft, the colors are washed out. Photographing my dog inside with the flash, I have a yellow cast to everything. I bought my camera to capture rich colors with high resolution, something this camera did not deliver. I don't want to spend so much time in photoshop trying to correct the images. As expensive as it is, I expect near perfect images, with maybe slight alterations for a few.

I've ordered the Nikon Coolpix 8700 based on the superb picture quality I see on the site below. Check it out. There's no comparison between the Nikon and Minolta.

http://www.pbase.com/cameras

Does anyone out there have the same problems with their new A2? Would like to know I am not alone in this complaint.
hangloose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2004, 3:54 PM   #2

I've seem many people who are extremely happy with their A2, and have also seen a lot of beautiful shots. Every camera as its ups and downs including the A2 and 8700.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:22 PM   #3

As far as the yellow cast goes - did you use the correct white balance?
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 2:59 PM   #4

Was toying with the idea of getting the A1 (decided making sure the tractor was running right was a better use of time and money) so spent some time looking at the specs and comments. There seemed to be a concensus that the 7x/An cameras worked a whole lot better if you knew something about what you were doing. Good ways of setting saturation, contrast, ... but not the best out-of-the-box settings for point and shoot.

Seemed lots of good RAW possibilities with at least one reaonably priced ($30-50) software package that folks were real happy with.

Well worth reading the forums for any camera you are interested in.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 3:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
Was toying with the idea of getting the A1 (decided making sure the tractor was running right was a better use of time and money) so spent some time looking at the specs and comments. There seemed to be a concensus that the 7x/An cameras worked a whole lot better if you knew something about what you were doing. Good ways of setting saturation, contrast, ... but not the best out-of-the-box settings for point and shoot.

Seemed lots of good RAW possibilities with at least one reaonably priced ($30-50) software package that folks were real happy with.

Well worth reading the forums for any camera you are interested in.
Exactly. I am a I recent owner of an A1 an can say that is true. It's a great camera with every feature you could think of, but it does take some work to get the best out of it. It is --far-- from a point and shoot. I'm very new at this and look at it as a learning experience. I've got a few good shots and lots of bad ones. I'll get there. The camera is way above my abilities right now, but I can grow into it.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 8:19 AM   #6

Default YAY!! to A2

Luminous Landscapes
'Konica-Minolta Dimage A2
Hitting One Over the Fence"
http://luminous-landscape.com/review...nolta-a2.shtml