Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 16, 2004, 2:01 PM   #1

Default need help with shutter speed and camera decision

I am looking to buy a new digital camera. We have a Cannon A40 at my office that I have used a lot, so I'm familiar with digital. I've narrowed my search to the following cameras: Casio QV-R51, Cannon Powershot S400, Olympus Stylus 410. I really like the case on the Olympus, especially the fact that it is "weather proof." Some reviews of the Olympus 400 (not 410) have mentioned that action shots are blurred. Is this due to slower shutter speed or some other factor? I noticed that the fastest shutter speed on the Olympus is 1/1000 sec, while on the other two cameras I've mentioned it is 1/2000 sec. Will this make a big difference or not? Is there anything new on the Olympus 410 that has improved the picture quality over the 400? Also, anyone who has used these cameras, especially the Casio or Olympus, please chime in with your thoughts on them in general.

Thanks
huntmj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2004, 4:53 PM   #2

Depending on the action you are trying to capture, only going to 1/1000 will limit you. I certainly wouldn't want a camera that stops at 1/1000, but I take fast action shots of moving animals. If you took family pictures of people going "cheese" then it doesn't really matter.

I know nothing about the cameras, but you should look at the sample pictures in steve's reviews to see how the picture quality is. Your eyes are great... if you are happy with the quality and it has the features you need then you're probably looking at something that will work for you.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 5:51 PM   #3

Usually blurred shots arenít caused by a 1/1000 shutter speed limit. f3.1 wide to f5.2 in tele canít give you the shutter speed you need for action shots in anything but bright sunlight. I think the 410 has the same lens. It adds sound to movies and according to their release information improves shot to shot times and shutter lag. You might wait for a good review.

The Canon and Casio are only slightly better at f2.8 wide to f4.9 tele. With any of them you are going to get subject blur shooting in available light that isnít really bright Ė especially in telephoto. The sports mode will maximize your shutter speed but it canít perform miracles.

The S400 has things like manual exposure and 15 second shots with noise reduction. The Casio has a much nicer 2 inch LCD which is handy for settings since you have to do everything in the LCD.

Have a look at the Minolta G500 also. It wonít give you available light action shots any better than the others, but it is less expensive than the S400 and I like the features.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 1:41 AM   #4

Thanks for your input! The info on the shutter spped is helpful. I won't be shooting any speeding race cars, but I do have active kids I'll be shooting. I'll check out the Minolta.
huntmj21 is offline   Reply With Quote