Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:44 PM   #1

Default Aspect ratios/how much pic is lost

Very basic, and probably very dumb, question but.....

The most common picture size I would want is 4 x 6, the 2nd most likely would be 8 x 10, then possibly 5 x 7 (but less likely).

I have my phone + my camera and they both offer different aspect ratios. My phone offers 16:9, 4:3, and 1:1. My camera has 16:9, 3:2, 4:3 and 1:1. Which is the best aspect ratio option (for least amount of loss) for 4 x 6, 5 x 7, ad 8 x 10. The only one that I know for sure is that 3:2 is a perfect match for 4 x 6 prints...but I only have that option on my regular camera. I also know that 1:1 is not what I am looking for regardless of which of the 3 sizes I am going for.....I also know that my regular camera has the optimal setting for 4 x 6 prints with its 3:2 option.

However, as far as getting the most of my picture showing up on 4 x 6 prints on my phone. Which option is better when 3:2 is not an option. I know it should be a simple math thing but I'm being a bonehead I guess.

If I am getting 4 x 6 prints and 3:2 is not available....which is better, 16:9 or 4:3.

If I am looking for 5 x 7 prints which is best on both device?

What about 8 x 10?

Thanks in advance.... I sure wish there was a 5:4 setting for 8 x 10's and a 7:5 option on both of these devices but nope. I don't even have the perfect 3:2 option for 4 x 6 prints on my phone!
edeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links