Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 22, 2004, 6:48 PM   #1

Default ENTRY LEVEL EDITING SOFTWARE

I'M NEW TO EDITING & HAVE TRIED A TRIAL PACKAGE OF PHOTO BRUSH. I PLAN TO ALSO DO A TRIAL PACKAGE OF PAINT SHOPPRO AS HAS BEEN SUGGESTED.

AMAZON HAS A SALE ON PAINT SHOP PRO 7 FOR $22 WHILE VERSION 8 SELLS FOR $75.

IS IT WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY FOR ME TO GO TO V 8? WHAT ARE THE SIGNIFICAQNT DIFFERENCES. PRESUME I WANT TO DO FAIRLY EXTENSIVE EDITING BUT NOT OF THE NATURE OF PHOTOSHOP 7.

I AVE 700MGHTZ COMPUTER WITH 128 MG OF MEMORY. WILL VERSION 8 BE TOO SLOW FOR ME?

THANKS LOU LEDDA
PAISANO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:51 PM   #2

First off, you might want to post without the caps lock on. Its harder to read that way.

I've heard good things about paint shop pro. I know some people who really like it.

You might try the less powerful but much cheaper and lighter weight "irfanview". It's a free editor which gets the job done. Check out "www.irfanview.com"

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 2:04 AM   #3

Default Re: ENTRY LEVEL EDITING SOFTWARE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAISANO5
AMAZON HAS A SALE ON PAINT SHOP PRO 7 FOR $22 WHILE VERSION 8 SELLS FOR $75.
I am very happy with Paint Shop Pro v7.04. I have quite an old machine (400MHz Pentium II), and I understand PSP8 would be rather slow on my platform.

I should add that PSP7 isn't just entry-level. It's very fully-featured, and is fantastic value at that price. You'll be able to do most things that you could do in Photoshop at many times the price.

Irfanview is free and excellent for global changes to images, but it doesn't have much in the way of drawing tools - e.g., removing unpersons, scratches etc.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 3:24 AM   #4

Concur with Eric, Irfan View is good starting program. After you've wetted your whistle with Irfan you might want to consider Photoshop Elements 2.0 (this is a scaled down version of PS) and it costs quite a bit less <$100 and sometimes as low as $60 with rebates.

I usually tell new users to start with Irfan and then work their way up. Besides, the price is hard to beat.

Elements will allow you to follow many of those helpful hints given to photoshop users in magazines since it does close to 80%+ of what the full product does and has the same menu structure.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 8:16 AM   #5

I agree that you should get Irfanview (freeware) . In addition, you should get a good EXIF viewer that gets the maximum data from your specific camera. Many/most/all photo editor will read the EXIF data, but will miss some of the more "obscure" data, e.g., flash intensity, subject distance, mode setting, ... Ask in the forum(s) for your camera about which one is best. Pay more attention to the ones that get the most data, not the ones that have the best interface.

If you can get a legal copy of PSP for $22, you will be able to upgrade later at a lower price. I happily used PSP for several years before switching to PhotoShop - mainly to get masked adjustment layers. I understand they are now available in PSP.

Though there is more information/tutorials available for Elements, there is a goodly amount for PSP. Whenever you are using an older version of either, you will find that the dominant information is always for the most recent version. Same as any other software.

Whatever photo editing program you get, you will do well to upgrade the memory in your PC. With 128M you will be twiddlying your thumbs while the virtual memory kicks in.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 7:34 PM   #6

I just got a good deal on Adobe Photoshop Elements and Photoshop Album bundle. PSE is pretty darn nice for the price. It seems to have 95% of PS CS for a fraction of the price. Photoshop Album has some very easy to use editing and picture organization features. I got it at buy.com for $110 - $30 rebate = $80. That is a heck of a deal IMHO.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...0&loc=105&sp=1
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 9:17 AM   #7

THANKS BILL.

INFRANVIEW'S EXIF VIEWER AS IS DID NOT PRODUCE TOO MUCH INFO ABOUT MY PHOTO
- VERY SKIMPY - NOT VERY USEFUL

HOWEVER:

ONCE I DOWNLOADED AN EXIF PLUGIN IT SHOWED MEA GREAT DEAL OF INFO, ABOUT MY PHOTOS, WHICH WILL BE A BOON TO MY PHOTOGRAPHY EDUCATION:

SEE:

File: - WOKSIGN2.JPG

Make - Panasonic
Model - DMC-FZ10
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - Ver1.05
DateTime - 2004:02:21 03:45:45
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
ExifOffset - 418
ExposureTime - 10/8000 seconds
FNumber - 4.00
ExposureProgram - Normal program
ISOSpeedRatings - 50
ExifVersion - 220
DateTimeOriginal - 2004:02:21 03:45:45
DateTimeDigitized - 2004:02:21 03:45:45
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
CompressedBitsPerPixel - 4 (bits/pixel)
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/800 seconds
ApertureValue - F 4.00
ExposureBiasValue - -2.00
MaxApertureValue - F 2.83
MeteringMode - Spot
LightSource - Daylight
Flash - Not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 6.00 mm
FlashPixVersion - 100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 2304
ExifImageHeight - 1728
InteroperabilityOffset - 2052
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
SceneType - A directly photographed image
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
WhiteBalance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 0.00 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 36 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - None
Contrast - Soft
Saturation - High
Sharpness - Hard
SubjectDistanceRange - Unknown

WHAT DO YOU THIN BILL, SHOULD I QUIT WHILE I AM AHEAD.

IS THERE ANYMORE I CAN OBTAIN?

LOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
I agree that you should get Irfanview (freeware) . In addition, you should get a good EXIF viewer that gets the maximum data from your specific camera. Many/most/all photo editor will read the EXIF data, but will miss some of the more "obscure" data, e.g., flash intensity, subject distance, mode setting, ... Ask in the forum(s) for your camera about which one is best. Pay more attention to the ones that get the most data, not the ones that have the best interface.

If you can get a legal copy of PSP for $22, you will be able to upgrade later at a lower price. I happily used PSP for several years before switching to PhotoShop - mainly to get masked adjustment layers. I understand they are now available in PSP.

Though there is more information/tutorials available for Elements, there is a goodly amount for PSP. Whenever you are using an older version of either, you will find that the dominant information is always for the most recent version. Same as any other software.

Whatever photo editing program you get, you will do well to upgrade the memory in your PC. With 128M you will be twiddlying your thumbs while the virtual memory kicks in.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 9:57 AM   #8

Default LATEST VERSION OF GIMP FOR WINDOWS

I'm having a hard time finding a site where i can download the latest version of the gimp

lou thanks
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:51 AM   #9

I would start at http://www.gimp.org/, but maybe you have already? I don't use it, so I can't give you a specific location.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:01 PM   #10

DOESN'T SEEM TO WORK[

quote="eric s"]I would start at http://www.gimp.org/, but maybe you have already? I don't use it, so I can't give you a specific location.

Eric[/quote]