Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 23, 2004, 8:57 AM   #1

Default 8700 vs A2

trying to decide between these for non pro user who wants top camera with room to learn all aspects of use

had decided on a2, but quality issues and manual flash door as reported on forums have me worried

please geive me your advice and first hand experience with these 2 cameras

thanks

steve
steveroberts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2004, 9:33 AM   #2

As far as the manual flash door I prefer it that way and wish every camera would follow suit. I hate looking for symbols to see if the flash is going to fire or having to take my eye off the viewfinder to check if it did or didnít pop up. With your eye on the viewfinder you can raise the flash easier than with a button. There is only one way it is going to come open and that is if you open it Ė and if it is open the flash will fire. If it is closed the flash will not fire. If you are so point and shoot oriented you want everything done automatically for you then I donít think either camera is particularly suitable.

I currently have a FZ10 with image stabilization and will never own a large camera again without it. It is a terrific feature. The A2 will also take 3 shots in rapid succession in raw mode. It will take in Adobe RGB, which is superior if you post process. It has a true SHQ JPG mode, which isnít as good as raw but just plain impossible to tell from TIFF. And the advanced EVF in the A2 is a much needed upgrade for EVF cameras. It is the first EVF ever made that looks decent.

The one situation the 828 would be better for is available light action photos. Stabilization doesnít help for subject motion. The 828 lens is an f-stop faster than the A2. Stabilization gives up to 3 f-stops of available light according to Minolta Ė might be slightly optimistic. In any case you can take pictures in dimmer light with the A2 unless the subject is moving.

I guess you have read the reviews. The 828 doesnít look too good and the A2 is starting to look excellent. I personally donít care how good the 828 is as it is just too big for me to carry around all day. Have you handled them in a store? http://luminous-landscape.com/review...nolta-a2.shtml
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:40 PM   #3

slipe - the gentleman was asking about the "8700" versus the A2 - not the 828 versus the A2. I agree - the 828 is a monster in size but the A2 and 8700 are relatively similar in size.
I went through a similar debate between the A1 and 5700 several months ago. I believe both the A2 and 8700 to be great cameras. Based on personal experience I feel Nikon's quality to be better but can't find any repair statistics to back this up so I woulnd't take this into account. I had some problems with my A1 after a couple of months use but after sending back for repair twice - the camera is working great again.
If you want image stabilization (and for 7x zoom not sure how you can live without it) - I'd go with the A2.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 1:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cczych
slipe - the gentleman was asking about the "8700" versus the A2 - not the 828 versus the A2.
You're right - I was thinking of the wrong camera. I actually like the feel of the 5700 better and it is more compact. I presume the 8700 is about the same.

It is a tradeoff between a longer telephoto and wide angle plus stabilization. I doubt there will be an image difference with any real-world significance.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 9:15 PM   #5

cczych wrote:

Quote:
If you want image stabilization (and for 7x zoom not sure how you can live without it) - I'd go with the A2.
I second that sentiment and would also add that having image stabilization (called AS on the A1/A2) will also, under some conditions, give you the equivalent of 2 (maybe 3) stops of extra available [low] light usability.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 2:48 PM   #6

Default Re: 8700 vs A2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveroberts13
trying to decide between these for non pro user who wants top camera with room to learn all aspects of use

had decided on a2, but quality issues and manual flash door as reported on forums have me worried

thanks

steve
Additionally, you should consider that the A2 does not produce resolution as high as the 8700, for example, when u sed in JPEG mode. It would appear that the demosiac process used on the A2 is inferior. RAW processing may be nescarry.

Howver, the high resolution EVF on the A2 is nothing but welcome improvement. The manual zoom lens may be a big deal to some, too. The 8700 does not feature a manual zoom.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 8:56 PM   #7
bps

Default Re: 8700 vs A2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveroberts13

thanks

steve
does anyone know which one has less shutter lag ?
bps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 11:05 AM   #8

I would encourage you to handle the 8700. To me it was the most uncomforatable camera I've handled. Nikon put the neck stap clip right where your hand should be. It is very uncomfortable to hold in my opinion. Just some food for thought...
funkriders is offline   Reply With Quote