Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:00 PM   #1

Default The Right Equipment

I have purchased a Canon EOS Rebel T6 with a Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III lens and an EFS 18-55mm lens. Came with a filter kit (UV, CPL, FLD (Elite Optics Commander brand) and 4 diopters (XIT brand)). Also came with a Commander Optics screw on 0.43X wide angle lens and a 2.2X AF telephoto lens.

I have been told by others (not here) that the filter kits are not good quality and I should buy some better quality filters. I have also been told that I should replace the Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III lens with the Canon 55-250 EF-S lens because the the EF lens is a lesser quality lens because it has no image stabilization.

The low down is I want to be able to get crisp, clear photos and want the right equipment to do that. I am absolutely willing to spend the money to get a good end result. Do you have any recommendation for me or comments?
Linda Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:57 PM   #2

I'd go along with all the recommendations you've described.

The only things you've got that are good are the T6 and the 18-55. The 75-300 is bad, and for a lot more reasons than you were told, and the filters and conversion lenses are of poor quality and are likely to degrade image quality significantly whenever you use them.

I certainly hope you didn't pay very much for all that ... stuff.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:58 PM   #3

Thank you so much for your recommendation. That is what I was afraid of. So I have the T6 and the 18-55. I plan on purchasing a certified refurbished 55-250 EF-S along with a B+W 58mm Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Coating filter, two B+W 58mm Clear UV Haze filters with Multi-Resistant Coating, and a B + W +10 diopter lens. Thinking about a EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens too.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:10 PM   #4

G'day Linda

Beaut to hear from you about your 'collection of stuff' as our mate Tcav calls ot

Please do not waste money on the +10 dioptre lens for extreme closeups - it is unusable for most things

A much better deal - and I use it myself - is to buy the "58mm dia Canon 250D" closeup lens for about $us90 which goes onto your 55-250 zoom lens to allow it to do fabulous closeup images

Most 'long' zoom lenses stop focusing at about 1,5metres, whereas the Canon 250D resets focus to 1/4-metre +/- "about 2 inches" but [and this is the beaut bit] you still have full use of the zoom lens to change image size for the subject

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:54 AM   #5

On the other hand, both the 18-55 and the 55-250 have 12 elements in 10 groups. Each air-to-glass, glass-to-air, and glass-to-glass interface will reflect some light back out of the lens, thus reducing contrast and brightness. Lens manufacturers limit the effect this has by incorporating lens coatings, but the more elements you add, the greater the effect. The UV filters and the +10 diopter close-up lens you mentioned will add two interfaces, and the CPL you mentioned and the 250D close-up lens that Phil mentioned will add four.

To be sure, B+W and Canon do their best to limit this effect, but my question to you is this: You have an interchangeable lens camera. If you want to shoot Macro, why not just get a macro lens? You'll get better results and have more capability with a macro lens that you would with any close-up lens.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:40 AM   #6

And, BTW, extension tubes turn any lens into a macro lens, and they don't have any optical elements that would reduce contrast.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:13 PM   #7

Hi Phil!

Yeah, my collection of stuff . . . . . oh well. I sure am learning a lot! What would be the difference between the B+W +10 closeup lens and the Canon 250D 58mm Close-up Lens?

Linda

Last edited by Linda Bowers; Sep 3, 2018 at 4:26 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:20 PM   #8

Why not get a macro lens? Cost is the first reason, trying to keep my cost down seeing as how I bought this camera kit that I already have to replace equipment for!! Anyway can you recommend a good quality macro lens so I can check it out? I totally understand the effects of the glass to glass interface and loss of contrast and brightness. I just learned about extension tubes today. I had never heard of them. That is a good consideration. I understand that they can reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor so I may have to increase ISO or adjust in other ways, correct?

Linda
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Bowers View Post
... I just learned about extension tubes today. I had never heard of them. That is a good consideration. I understand that they can reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor so I may have to increase ISO or adjust in other ways, correct?
Yes, but the camera's AE system can handle it automatically. And the amount varies from lens to lens.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Bowers View Post
... Anyway can you recommend a good quality macro lens so I can check it out? ...
There's no such thing as a bad macro lens.

https://www.keh.com/shop/lenses/slr/...ue&order=price